Switching between multiple mix effects?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

spiritofwhiteraven

Switching between multiple mix effects?

PostWed May 30, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi all,

Our team is helding a community focused PUBG esports tournament.
I did not design this setting we currently running, my boss out sourced a production team to design the setting prior.
There's a lot of routing design that's confusing me.

Our setting is roughly like this:
- 4 observer PC each go into an older model of Blackmagic Television switcher through HDMI

- Blackmagic Television switcher outputs each of the 4 PC's screen source to a 2 M/E Production Switcher 4K, to compile a 2 box PiP effect / sometimes, depends on the match, my might have to restore the entire setting to a 4 box PiP

- 2 M/E Production Switcher 4K output this PiP source (2 box or 4 box) to another ATEM Television Studio Pro HD

- Shoutcasters' camera input to the ATEM Television Studio Pro HD, as we use this unit to switch between the PiP and shoutcasters

We do have a 4 M/E Production Switcher 4K laying around (brand new, not even unboxed).
But we don't have a 1 or 2 M/E Control Panel.

Here's what I'm wondering after studying the user manual and watched various YouTube tutorials for days:
- All of the requirement can be achieved with one 4 M/E Production Switcher 4K, right? as in:
1 HD Camera (SDI)
4 PC (HDMI convert to SDI)
Using the source from each PC to compile one 2 box PiP, one 4 box PiP. Each will take one Multi-View?

- Is the 4 M/E Production Switcher 4K able to output 4 multi-view at the same time?

- Is the 2 Box PiP considered a Mixed Effect? How do I switch from 2 box PiP to 4 box PiP?

I'm really confused by the concept of the "M/E", trying very hard to understand it graphically.
Is the "4 M/E" in 4 M/E Production Switcher 4K means it can output 4 multi-view at the same time?
Or it means it has 4 types of mix effects?

Thank you guys so much for helping, I'll try to upload some screenshots to better explain out setting.
Truly appreciate your help!

Howard Roll

Re: Switching between multiple mix effects?

PostWed May 30, 2018 10:34 pm

An "ME" is a mix effects bus. 4ME typically means 4 discrete outputs with all the bells and whistles. The bells and whistles are the keyers and DVEs. Rumor has it that the BM 4ME only has 1 DVE which makes it more of a 1 and 3 half ME switcher.

You can probably do what you want with the the "4ME" using the super source, DVE, and a couple macros. You may still need the TV switcher to convert the HDMI feeds to SDI.

Good Luck

ruberolf

Re: Switching between multiple mix effects?

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 11:39 am

had the same issue, thank you for this thread
made my day

Return to Live Production