Controlling 2 x ATEM Switcher from 2 M/E broadcast panel

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Azuolas Sinkevicius

Controlling 2 x ATEM Switcher from 2 M/E broadcast panel

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 6:26 pm

Hi,
Is it possible to have a Blackmagic 2 M/E Broadcast panel setup to control 2 x separate ATEM Switchers?
So bottom row would be ATEM switcher #1 ME1 layer (say IP 10.0.0.11) and
top row ATEM switcher #2 ME1 layer (say IP 10.0.0.12)?
If so how do you set this up?
I've tried typing these IPs in each row of the M/E Panel but as soon as you connect the first switcher to the network it only reads the ME layers (1-4) from ATEM swicther #1.
Thanks
AS

Xtreemtec

Re: Controlling 2 x ATEM Switcher from 2 M/E broadcast panel

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 7:04 pm

only possible when you have small switchers that have only 1me.

reading me 1-4 sounds like you have a broadcast 4k connected which is a 4me switcher.. and so the whole panel will be filled. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

MambaFiber.com

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 7:47 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:only possible when you have small switchers that have only 1me.

reading me 1-4 sounds like you have a broadcast 4k connected which is a 4me switcher.. and so the whole panel will be filled. ;)

this is correct, it only works with 2x 1M/E switchers. a 2M/E or 4M/E switcher will occupy the entire 2M/E panel. this is too bad, as I'd really like to have 2x switchers with SuperSource in the same panel for some shows...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Azuolas Sinkevicius

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 10:00 pm

Yes I have all ATEM 4M/Es models to control.
It is rather disappointing that this can't be done with anything else other than 1 M/E
I wonder if the software update would be an option to consider and add this feature?

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 7:36 am

As controlling several 4ME switchers from 1 control panel is so OUT of the BOX of were the system is designed for.. I dont think ou will ever see this in any software update..
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Azuolas Sinkevicius

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 9:09 pm

I don't agree - its already done in the software for 2 x ATEM 1M/E switchers.
Enable the same for the ATEM 4 M/E models and we're set - I don't even care if there is no access to the ME2-4 layers on the panel with this enabled.
What I need are the 20 inputs, all the additional AUXs 4 M/E model offers and a panel access for all 20 at once, not the additional ME layers. M/E 1 models max out at 10 ins.,
That and the fact that you can't run more than one master audio source per switcher anyway (unless you put a post switcher audio embedder as an external unit downstream).

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 10:20 am

Problem is.. You don't need the other ME 2-4 layers.. But once BMD implements this.. Somebody else will get angry because BMD did not put in a way to work ME2-4.. So in the end they never get it right in the eyes of the users..

I suggest you look at Just macro's and write a script that takes the commands of the 2nd ME layer and echo's that to ME1 from your 2nd 4ME switcher.. That is the only way that i can think off to pull this off..

The development on the 2ME panel is stopped years ago.. Got a update recently to support the switch for the 4ME's.. But other then that.. They haven't updated a lot of functions in the 2ME panels the last few years.. A lot of unused buttons still.. So you can safely say dev on this panel is stopped.. There might be a new panel in development since the 1ME Advanced panel is out.. But even than.. I doubt BMD will ever put the option in to flexible map every button to every function / atem you want..

Return to Live Production