Move cross country doing live stream

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Edrick Smith

Move cross country doing live stream

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 6:41 pm

So we're moving our production company across country along with our exotic birds. What I'd like to do is setup a multi-cam setup I'm planning an exterior camera or two, an interior cab camera, and then some type of "dash cam". I'm looking I think to use the Studio 4k Mini Camera as that has HD-SDI out. We will be driving from Boston to the LA Area. So I'm thinking of shooting both a more visually shot cut together of the trip across country. But also like to have the ability to go live and cut between the cameras.

So what I'm thinking is having them all connect to a Black Magic ATEM switcher.

So some questions:

What would you guys recommend for a cab mic, I'm thinking even a LAV mic clipped to the Visors and maybe one in the back area to pickup the birds.

What might you recommend for lenses?

So obviously the camera has MFT mount. So the cab we're going to need perhaps even almost a fish eye lens? The truck is a Silverado 1500 and the studio camera will most likely be mounted center to the windshield / dashboard.

On the exterior cameras I'm thinking of mounting them in some fashion to the mirrors as they obviously have the threaded screw mount so I could rig up something custom for this. The cameras on the exterior will stay on there the whole trip through all weather and only be removed when we're stopped / not with the vehicle. So does someone make a housing for the camera and lens? Worse case I'm thinking we're going to have to bag the cameras and seal them in some fashion with only the lens exposed.

We're going to run SDI and power to the exterior cameras.

For the exterior do you think just go with a fixed lens?

So the plan will be to run all the cameras back to the ATEM via SDI, does the ATEM have the ability to record isolated streams from each camera separately? I know the tricaster can do this. My concern is that if I want to leave the exterior cameras recording, I'm going to be changing SD cards a lot. So I figure if I can in some way just record the exterior cameras isolated to a drive as inside the vehicle we'll have a power inverter and could record to SSD disks.

Can you control the ATEM with an iPad interface of any sorts? I do think however we'll have a laptop center mounted in the truck and the person traveling with me will control it. From the laptop we'll be doing our streaming and ATEM control. We have a LTE hotspot in the truck.

Anything you guys can think of that I might want to consider?

Trip in total we're estimating will take about 5 days to go across country including stopping.

I'd like to create something that really visually speaks hence not going with a GoPro or just dash cams. Although the GoPro we might use in conjunction with it. I'm looking to document in true resolution what a trip across the US visually looks like. Not just some hacked together time-lapse.
C47Studios.com | Los Angeles, California

Edrick Smith

Re: Move cross country doing live stream

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 4:24 am

:geek:
C47Studios.com | Los Angeles, California

Markus Leodolter

Re: Move cross country doing live stream

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 7:15 am

I see two different choices:
A
You use marshall cameras
http://www.marshall-usa.com/optical/cameras/

for inside and outside., connect them via sdi to a macbook pro running windows and livestream studio. At the new macbook pro you have 4 usb 3.1/thunderbolt where you can plug in 4 Blackmagic Mini Recorder. (no recording in the cameras)

B
You get a few Livestream Mevos with the battery, a few tablets to operate them and connect them with ethernet and a switch to livestream studio running on a good laptop.
(cameras can record)

With livestream studio you can switch between the cameras, make inserts, record one or more cameras, and do the livestream, also bonding of several LTE connections is possible if you stream directly to livestream.

For Audio I would suggest a small analog audio mixer, for the first choice you need one ultrastudio mini (with Audio in) instead of the mini recorder, for the second choice buy an audio mixer with USB.

One more questions
What´s about light? Inside of the car you will always film against the light.

Using a Atem Switcher would need much space (switcher, monitor) you probably don´t have

Return to Live Production