Canon 5D cameras HDMI output to ATEM switcher

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Gabriel Ng

Canon 5D cameras HDMI output to ATEM switcher

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 1:25 pm

Hey guys,

I would really need some help on this. Doing a live video event end of the month and the client requests to use canon 5D cameras’ HDMI output. I would like to use some of my cameras too. However matching frame rates and resolutions comes into question.

A quick check on the 5D hdmi resolutions show that they output 50i and 50p. Still can’t figure out what the AUTO option means and there is very little info on the web. Problem is my other camera outputs at 25P only.

On the Atomos website, they mentioned that the canon 5D has more than the two resolutions mentioned above. I’m assuming that if you set the camera HDMI resolution to AUTO it would take to the recording FPS and resolution. But doesn’t appear so when I tried it.

Could anyone shed any light on the meaning and function of the AUTO option?

Thanks!

Xtreemtec

Re: Canon 5D cameras HDMI output to ATEM switcher

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 8:10 pm

the 5d will also switch to a lower resolution as soon you hit the record button..... :(
Guess a UpDownCross would fit in here to fix some issues...
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Daniel Binder

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 8:40 pm

Also keep in mind that the 5D (or any DSLR) might have a substantial delay/latency on the HDMI output.
Last time I checked (2 or 3 years ago) it was about 5 frames, which would make it impossible to do IMAG/screening the live feed on location and you would need an audio delay device in case you are streaming the event and get the audio separately.

cheers,
daniel

Kevin McGrath

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 9:33 pm

Ok I know that I have connected my Nikon d7100 to my atem tvs and had no problems
I was running 1080i connected via HDMI to sdi Remember hdmi can only run about 15-20 feet max My hdmi cable was only 3 feet
Now I did not record at the camera but she did run for 45 minutes before the battery died (one battery only ). I did get the extra battery adapter after that
So please keep in mind how long your event will last
Atem tvs , studio converter 4 camera converters, hyperdeck,40x40 videohub. Master control, jvc gy hm700 &170 Jvc gy hm 150 Panasonic aw he50 aw he 2
Panasonic hpx 300. Panasonic hpx 2000 Sony pdw 350 Panasonic HPD24

Chris Murch

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 3:14 pm

Keep in mind that Canon 5DMKIII's do not transmit Audio over the HDMI port for some reason.

Welcome to Canon.

Return to Live Production