Studio Fiber Converter intercom levels

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Knut Bussian

Studio Fiber Converter intercom levels

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 4:57 pm

Hello,

can anybody tell me which audio level the studio fiber converter expects at its inputs? I've been trying to interface a Clearcom MS-702 using a Clearcom IF4B to the SUB-D connector but the levels are very very soft.
I helped myself using an Auxiliary output of a Soundcraft Signature 12 audio mixer - cranked up nearly all the way. (For this to work I fed the clearcom IF4B output to an input of the mixer).

The level is "decent" this way. I've been trying different (industry standard) headsets from Beyerdynamic DT150 to DT250 starting from 50 Ohms to 400 Ohms, but it stays very soft. I doubt, that my cameramen will hear the intercom in a noisy venue like a stadium.

Do we have to use a headphone amp on the camera side?

Thanks,
Knut

Videotech Tim

Re: Studio Fiber Converter intercom levels

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 5:11 pm

Hi Knut,

I experienced the same problem. I cranked up the level +18db from my riedel intercom system. I also use beyerdynamic and David Clark headsets.

If you look at the embedded level it's almost at 0db so i can't get more out of the signal.

I also emailed support of blackmagic about this issue. I hope they will fix this in a new firmware update.

Regards,
Tim

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 8:53 pm

I heard a colluege company about that too today.. Not enough volume on the headsets.. Not useable for loud enviroments..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Matt Certa

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 3:01 pm

I’ve always had trouble with com levels with signal being embedded in triax or smpte fiber. I’m not the smartest on this, but I’ve read there’s benefit to using 4 wire com instead of 2, and also the cable gauge size of the wiring going into the 25 pin or whatever. Also making sure the director has a really good headset helps.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 10:57 pm

According to the manual, the ENG and PROD intercom audio inputs and outputs on the DB25 connector of the Studio Fiber Converter have a nominal level of 0dBu. The maximum level doesn't seem to be specified, so I'm not sure how much headroom there is on the inputs.

Most two-wire intercom systems have a lower nominal intercom line level. I believe the nominal level for Clear Com intercom is about -15dBu while RTS is about -10dBu. Given those numbers, it is not a surprise that you would have to boost the audio level somewhat when sending the audio from an intercom system to the Studio Fiber Converter.

It's also possible that the headphone amplifier built-in to the Camera Fiber Converter is kind of weak. If you have the Studio Fiber Converter connected to a mixer already, it may be worth sending a reference tone at 0dBu as the input signal and see what the level is like at the headset side.

Chris Bjork

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 1:48 pm

Where can I get some instruction on hooking up a BMD Ursa Broadcast & Studio Fiber Converter to a ClearCom intercom system? Where can I get instructions/manual before my BMD system arrives? I know I'll have to acquire some pieces to interface CC with BMD & I'll have to build some cables. I know that there are some pretty MAJOR problems with feedback, has BMD done anything about this?

Xtreemtec

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 2:24 pm

I just replied in that other topic on your same question!!

Feedback issues are very anoying, BMD knows the issue, A fix is not yet released!.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production