Wirless - bi directional

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

SDCJVH

Wirless - bi directional

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi all,

I currently have the atem television studio HD and looking to purchase studio hd cameras. What I want to know is has anyone found a wireless system that can make sure of the built in talkback system. Normal wireless systems only send and recieve. I want to be able to do both so talkback can be used via sdi channels 15 and 16 along with any addtional cameras controls that will require a send signal feom the vision mixer rather then recieving as standard wireless systems do. Budget is around £1200k per camera for the wirless system.

Any help would be apericiated.

pederdingo

Re: Wirless - bi directional

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 6:40 pm

I think Vislink makes at least one with return video feed.
But it's a lot more than £1200 (unless you really mean £1200k as in £1,200,000 :D )

And I don't know if they carry audio on 16 channels.

Some of the lower cost wifi transmitters have an intercom solution with audio back and forth.
Like the Ghost-Eye and the Teradek Beam.

But they also cost a lot more than £1200.

If I were you I would go for a low cost wireless transmitter and purchase some 2-way UHF radios for the intercom. You will also need a duplex base station (a radio that transmits on one frequency and receives on another).

In my experience the low cost wireless transmitters seldom have the range they are advertised to have.
So if you need 100m range you should probably go for something rated for 500m.

SDCJVH

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 7:20 pm

Do you know the name? Just so I can look at the specs. Its annoying that the camera can do loads via cable but no wireless systems will work with an amazing feature.

pederdingo

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 8:53 pm

Vislink ViewBack

Asgeir Hustad

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 9:55 pm

Earlier, we used iCom radios for comms to all cameras. Then we upgraded to a wired option for longer range and clearer audio, and can't really interface the radios to the wired comms with our current setup.

For our next major gig, we've got an industry standard in-ear system for this use. With programmable channels, we won't clash with the audio gear used on-stage for the artists. Also, one advantage is that multiple receivers can listen to one transmitter, so multiple sets of wireless cameras can have cheaper wireless listening on coms as well.

We've heard lots of stories from the sound guys about "those freakin' TV guys coming in the last hour, bringing the wireless mic systems down with their bloody video transmitters" - and don't wanna be those guys.

Baz

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 11:23 pm

Just remember if you go for a HDMI tx solution it will strip all audio except channel 1 and channel 2.
I have in the past used some miniconverters to transfer A15/16 to A1/2 to retain talkback but lose any camera sound/return sound.

Baz

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

SDCJVH

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 5:42 am

The plan is to use sdi. Cant even find any with a return feed let along worrying about what channel are taken out. Maybe it is something blackmagic need to invent next.

SDCJVH

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 7:18 am

I guess my only alternative is a budget wirless talkback system. Anyone know of any? Already have a wired system and if I was going to use thatbit be easier to go wired cameras and make use of all the built in functions.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 1:43 pm

Baz wrote:Just remember if you go for a HDMI tx solution it will strip all audio except channel 1 and channel 2.
I have in the past used some miniconverters to transfer A15/16 to A1/2 to retain talkback but lose any camera sound/return sound.

Baz

SDI wireless senders do too.. No anc data and no extra audio channels... So no talkback from the camera to the atem also..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production