Mixing URSA Broadcast with GH5S

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Stephen Bolech

Mixing URSA Broadcast with GH5S

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 3:15 am

Hi all, my church recently got two URSA Broadcast cameras, along with a Panasonic GH5S. We are running them into an ATEM TV Studio Pro 4K, the GH5S through an HDMI to SDI micro converter. The main issue we’re having is that the GH5S must have a good deal more latency than the URSAs, because whenever we switch to that camera it is noticeably out of sync with the audio (which is fine with the URSAs). Does anybody have suggestions for how to correct this? I assume it isn’t possible to make the Panasonic have less latency, so I guess the only solution is to somehow delay the URSAs and the audio by a few frames. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks
Stephen Bolech
FBC Waco

Denny Smith

Re: Mixing URSA Broadcast with GH5S

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 4:59 pm

This is the issue with mixing different cameras, especially Broadcast type csmeras with very low latency with a consumer camera that has as much as 2-3 frames, like thr GH5S. This is why it is best to have matching cameras to void this issue.

How is audio going to the ATEM, from camera or directly from a audio mixer. If the later, yiu can add delay at the mixer before going to the ATEM.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Stephen Bolech

Re: Mixing URSA Broadcast with GH5S

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 7:03 pm

Yeah, it was something that I didn't anticipate... The audio is going to the ATEM from a mixer. I can add delay to get it in sync with the GH5S, but then it will be out of sync with the two URSAs.

Luckily this is a temporary solution. In a couple of months we should be getting some professional Sony PTZs to mix with the URSA Broadcasts, and hopefully they'll have better latency. We could also externally synchronize all of the cameras.

Return to Live Production