ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher external audio distorted

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

James2526

ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher external audio distorted

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 9:45 pm

Hello!

So, I am a happy owner of the good old ATEM 1 M/E (the 2U one). I got it dirt cheap and if you don't need 4K it still does outstanding job. Except for one thing - external audio. I've been struggling for months to make it work properly, but I still need your advice, as I've already searched the forum. Now, to the point:

Very often sound guys provide me with single XLR for the external audio. Common practice is to plug it into camera, which doubles it to two channels and embeds to SDI. But as we all know, this is not a professional solution as it is ridiculous to pull long XLR into the camera as the Audio Mixer is often next to the video equipment.

TL;DR START HERE

So, I figured out that if I get a small audio mixer, I can double the channel as ATEM's breakout cable requires two XLR inputs. I got a Behringer Xenyx 502 and it turned out that the output signal it provides is insufficient for the ATEM. While searching this forum I've stumbled upon information that Xenyx provides unbalanced output, while ATEM requires balanced input. So, I got a converter (ART Cleanbox Pro) which outputs balanced sound. Now, on the ATEM I can finally make levels right, but the sound is distorted, as if amount of gain required but the ATEM was so big that it is only audible once distorted.

To sum up: Single XLR>Behringer Xenyx 502>ART Cleanbox Pro unbalanced RCA to balanced XLR>ATEM

Please, help me.

Thank you in advance,
James

Return to Live Production