Atem production studio 4k with HD Dome Camera for security

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

evangeliopleno

Atem production studio 4k with HD Dome Camera for security

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 9:22 pm

Hi,

We bought an Atem Production Studio 4k for our church's use.
But, because it is the first time to use something like this,
we don't know very well how to use and what cameras we can use with.

Our question is:
What kind of HD Dome Cameras for security do we use?
Do we need to buy any converter or something like this in order that those cameras function with ATEM?

Please help us, because we don't have enough budget to buy good and expensive cameras!!

James Muscat

Re: Atem production studio 4k with HD Dome Camera for securi

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 2:01 pm

A PS4K is a pretty heavy investment for a church without properly speccing the rest of the system first...

Hopefully, you'll have done enough research to already know that you'll need either cameras with an SDI output, or else cameras with an HDMI output that you can convert to SDI.

You'll hopefully already have realised that, as the ATEM has no built-in scalers, all inputs to it must be at the same resolution, scan and frame rate (e.g. if one input is 1080p and another is 1080i, you'll only have one working).

You haven't shared any details of your installation or how the cameras might be used. What are the expectations of your church leadership? Are they expecting tight, close-up shots tracking them across the stage? Will a static wide shot (of the sort you're likely to get from a cheap CCTV camera) be of any value in your production? Is this for in-venue image magnification, or streaming, or both? What's the skill level of your production team?

If you have the manpower, and not the budget for something like the Datavideo PTC-150 or something from PTZOptics, have you considered using a relatively inexpensive consumer camcorder with HDMI-out and having an operator man the camera during events?

I designed and installed a video system based around the PS4K for my church last year, so I've had plenty of time thinking about similar questions! I can send you a copy of the design document if you'd like. (I might also be able to help with control solutions if you want something a bit more tailored to your use-case than the ATEM software.)

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: Atem production studio 4k with HD Dome Camera for securi

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Hello Gabriel. I would like to point out when looking for cameras, especially security types, that the ATEM Production Studio 4K (and most ATEMS) do not accept a 60Hz signal on the SDI inputs. The cameras need to output 59.94Hz in order for them to work. These switchers may accept 60Hz on the HDMI inputs, however cable lengths usually prevent using them for long runs.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Return to Live Production