use pocket cinema camera in 4 camera setup

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

FABIO2OO3

use pocket cinema camera in 4 camera setup

PostFri Apr 26, 2013 2:05 pm

good morning and first excuse for my poor english.
i need to update my sd video setup to an hd system and i need to recover some money.
i have checked on blackmacig website and have found some interesting device. i want to create my system whit this configuration. please help me if there is some error.

- 4 pocket cinema camera (i would to think if this camera are able to produce hdmi video output for more than 4 hour. or have the same problem of some reflex camera that became hot or that auto power off)

- 4 atem camera converters (i would to think if the hdmi video output of pocket cinema camera is compatibile with the hdmi of converter)

- 4 50 meter of fiber optics

- 1 atem studio converter to retrieve the 4 hdmi video output

- 1 atem television studio to mix the video signal (it is possible to use the software with touch screen lcd monitor?)

how to record the video signal? the atem television record to hard disk of pc that are connected the master video flux?
or i need other device to record such as hyper deck studio?

i am a little confused and need some reply first of buy this item.
many thank you at the comunity

Christine Peterson

Re: use pocket cinema camera in 4 camera setup

PostFri Apr 26, 2013 9:55 pm

Moved to Live Production...
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

FABIO2OO3

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 9:02 am

ok excuse me for the error made. christine who have the reply for me? i need to buy some blackmagic products but first i need a clear reply to my question. thank you

Thomas Wong

PostSun Apr 28, 2013 3:59 am

I am using TV studio for live video mix with 3 5D mk3. Each camera connect to a hyperdeck shuttle instead of a converter. Hyperdeck is just a little more than a converter. But it has hdmi in/out and hdsdi in/out. I connect hdmi from 5D to Hyperdeck From hyperdeck, hdmi output to external monitor, hdsdi to TV studio. You can use hyperdeck as recorder if you like. But I prefer record in camera internally. Hyperdeck only serve as a converter.

For recording video mix, you connect USB to the computer you run the ATEM software, you can press the record button to record the live video mix in mp4

I have the same question on bm pocket cinema camera as well on 4 hours running without over heating. Blackmagic reply me it won't make a product with overheating issue. But I will wait til the product release and see from the users

FABIO2OO3

PostSun Apr 28, 2013 9:52 am

thank you thomas this is a first step interesting reply. but the 5d have the auto power off and the limit of the time. if i need to shoot entire concert for example, that show for about 2 hour without interruption, it is impossible for your setup.
now i am interesting to use the pocket cinema camera as a camera able to give video for 2 and more hours without interruption.
this is my first problem to solve.the other are only little problem
thank you

Thomas Wong

PostSun Apr 28, 2013 4:45 pm

You can turn off 'auto power off' in mk3, or use the ac adaptor if you don't want to switch battery. I have run a 3 hour concert without overheating. Mk3 record time is up to 30minutes.

I also think pocket cinema is a better solution, because of the 3x crops, you can put a 200mm lens to get 600mm, or a 100-400mm will become 300x1200. Just no one can confirm if there is overheat issue.

I had a Sony nex5n, I was planning to use that as a B cam. But it has serious overheat issue. Camera will turn off after 20minutes.

I also wonder if they will have enough stock by July 25, I have an event at end of August. I worry if I can get the camera by that time too
BMCC 2.5k, Canon 5D mk3
Canon 24-70mm f2.8, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 II, Rokinon 14mm cine T3.1
Edelkrone Slider Plus v2, iFootage mini crane M1, Glidetrack Hybrid HD with Steadicam arm & vest, Atomos Samurai

Thomas Wong

PostSun Apr 28, 2013 4:50 pm

One more thing, if you plan to use pocket cinema for live event, make sure you have external monitor. I think you have to go to menu and change aperture/shutter/iso. People said the best way is too use external monitor for live view, and the camera display stay at menu page
BMCC 2.5k, Canon 5D mk3
Canon 24-70mm f2.8, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 II, Rokinon 14mm cine T3.1
Edelkrone Slider Plus v2, iFootage mini crane M1, Glidetrack Hybrid HD with Steadicam arm & vest, Atomos Samurai

FABIO2OO3

PostSun Apr 28, 2013 8:00 pm

yes thomas i am not shure about what type of lens use.
at this moment i use an old sd video system with 4 broadcast camera sony dxc-537 with fujinon broadcast lens and remote focus and zoom.
i have found on ebay an adapter to use my lens with the micro 4/3 camera
i want to reuse my lens, and maintain my remote focus and my remote zoom.
about iso, aperture, and other control i have read about the spec. of pochet camera that is possible to control all of this function by usb and remote control software. i have think to use a portable laptop with software for the 4 camera and use this laptop as ccu, for remote control of iris and other function.
are you agree with my opinion?

Jonas Bengtson

PostSun Apr 28, 2013 8:59 pm

The Fujinon SD lenses are actually not that good at all.
Only positive is the broadcast/live implementation with absolute focus/zoom servos and grip.

FABIO2OO3

PostTue Apr 30, 2013 7:43 am

ok thomas why its not good? vignetting problem or quality?
i have a lot of good lens made for 35mm slr photocamera, are this good? or i can buy newer lens? thsnk you

Return to Live Production