Camera Control - ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

dsshaw

Camera Control - ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 1:29 pm

Putting together a proposal for a client who is looking for a small studio that can be operated by one person.

Looking to use 3 BM Studio cameras with the ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K switcher. The client needs the ability to record ISOs of each camera as well as the program feed. I'm considering a few hyperdeck minis.

In order to control the cameras via SDI, I assume I need the use the direct out of the switcher and feed that to the camera. Now in order to ISO each record, can I use the Hyperdeck to loop the signal back to the camera keeping the control commands or is it better to put a DA on each output and split the signal to the respective devices?

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: Camera Control - ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 3:46 pm

Hello David. The ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K does not have Loop ouputs of the input. The outputs contain Program video and are all the same. To record ISOs of the cameras using the Hyperdeck Mini, you could feed the camera first to each Mini, then the output to the ATEM. Keep in mind, to see the camera the Mini must be Recording or in EE mode. The Camera control is on the Program outputs so the ISO recordings will have no effect on that.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

dsshaw

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 6:13 pm

Gary Adams wrote:Hello David. The ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K does not have Loop ouputs of the input. The outputs contain Program video and are all the same. To record ISOs of the cameras using the Hyperdeck Mini, you could feed the camera first to each Mini, then the output to the ATEM. Keep in mind, to see the camera the Mini must be Recording or in EE mode. The Camera control is on the Program outputs so the ISO recordings will have no effect on that.

Regards, Gary

So in order for the camera control to work, all i have to do is feed one of the 8 SDI outputs to the camera SDI input. Which leaves the primary program out to go to my main recorder.

Denny Smith

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 7:31 pm

That is correct.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

marcos sebastian

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 2:32 am

Gary Adams wrote: The outputs contain Program video and are all the same.

Regards, Gary

Wow! Just Wow!

We just bought this switcher and connected it to 5 cameras and 3 Hyperdeck minis. Our goal was to record "Program" out on deck 1 and cameras 3 and 5 on decks 2 and 3 for B-roll.

So I connected outputs 3 and 5 corresponding to the cameras input. To my surprise all I see is "program" on all Hyperdecks minis. I spent about 2 hours going to thru manuals and ATEM configuration to route video signal but no luck.

Came here to learn how to configure the outputs and to my surprise find this.
Obviously this is my error for assuming that each output above the input connector corresponded to the input.

But I'm still in shock that this switcher has about 10 outputs and all are "Program" with the exception of the "Aux" which is routable.

Will have trade to ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K.

Cheers
Marcos Sebastian

Baz

PostSat Jun 23, 2018 12:04 am

The outputs contain Program video and are all the same.

That is not quiet correct. The audio on each can be selected to provide mix minus. That is, program sound MINUS the specific camera's sound. This is for doing 2 way interviews.

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Xtreemtec

PostSat Jun 23, 2018 7:06 pm

And also the purpose of those outputs is to have Camera control to 4 cameras.. (Studio, Ursa, Etc) direct with cables without buying a extra SDI splitter..

Would it be conviniant that you can switch between loop out or Program out.. Yes it would!! But the products (TVS HD / HD PRO) are on the market for a year now... If it would be remotely possible by hardware it would have been implemented by now.. Probabbly the SDI inputs go directly to the framebuffer / MV FPGA.. While the outputs of these ports are hooked up to the Programm FPGA that does the mix and audio..

Pretty safe to say it can't be changed.. ;) Unless planned upfront.. But because these mixers are the cheapest ATEM line.. The functions and hardware posibilities are pretty restricted.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production