EDID problems with TVSHD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Will Smart

EDID problems with TVSHD

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 5:10 am

Forwarding on concerns of an associate regarding default EDID settings on the TVSHD not following designated resolution.
The response he received was...interesting and probably about to become a meme.
This is after he sent an EDID dump from the TVSHD to supplier to prove his case.
Blackmagic have also come back to me with the following info regarding how their EDID works.

The customer is mistaken about how EDID actually works. EDID lets the source that is an input, for example a DVD player, tell the device that it is connected to, a TV, what format the TV should set itself to. If ATEM allowed this to happen then just imagine how the switcher would react when multiple inputs were connected that had different formats!

I believe the customer is referring to Dynamic EDID. We do not support it because of the many complications that it brings, i.e. devices like GoPros that you select an format on but it actually sends out a different format.

We have no plans to alter how we do EDID at this time.

I would suggest that the customer add a Teranex AV or Express or new Up, Down Cross Converter to their set up so that any laptop will show up in their ATEM easily.

Return to Live Production