Frame Rate for Live Production

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Tonydamico

Frame Rate for Live Production

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 8:22 pm

Hey all -

I am new to this whole thing and had a few questions. We are using the Blackmagic Micro Studio cameras with an ATEM 4k Production Studio. I am feeding four cameras and a computer to the Switcher.

1. What is the best frame rate to use? The guys who set up the system set us at 1080i 59.94. Should we use something like 1080p 24?

2. How do you get a computer to send a signal that will work with the 24 fps feed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Tony

Evan Vickers

Re: Frame Rate for Live Production

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 10:24 pm

Well, it's kinda up to you. For live production I really like the look of 59.94. And I'd always recommend progressive. Are you doing this for IMAG or just recording?

As for the computer feed, if you go with 24p (23.976) you would likely need to run it through a video scaler. My favorite is the Decimator MD-HX. You could get away with the Up/Down/Cross converter (I believe, never tried it) but for the price the MD-HX is awesome.

But if you run your system at 59.94 you might not have to adjust the computer image at all. Just depends on the video card. Or you could use a video output device that is meant to output broadcast formatted video.

Howard Roll

PostThu Jun 28, 2018 6:57 am

1. The best frame rate is the one that works. If you have a Mac you'll probably have to use 30p or 60p, if you have a PC you can probably use the broadcast friendly 29.97 or 59.94. If you have a system that doesn't support 3G you'll need 29.97/30 instead of 59.94/60.

2. Mac System Prefs/PC Control Panel. I'd avoid 24P for live gigs unless you find strobey video is worth the associated headaches.

Good Luck

Markus Leodolter

PostThu Jun 28, 2018 12:07 pm

How is your production delivered to the costumer? If It´s a livestream that is normally watched at PCs or Mobile Phones you definitely should use progressive since they also work progressive. Even beamer and modern TVs work progressive.
Interlaced is only necessary if a television station wants it.

Return to Live Production