Video signals not working in a ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

jjobieta

Video signals not working in a ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio

PostFri Jun 29, 2018 8:12 am

Hello, everyone.
We have an ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4k installed in a press room and have had no problems so far. The other day, just before a press conference started, the device started to fail in all their outings. The image showed a succession of grey and green colours. No one was interacting with the device when it started to fail. It was just showing a DAC70 input (PC) in a videowall.

It is the same with any video source (HDMI, DAC70, cameras) you select and sends it to any of the 6 auxiliary outputs or program.
The device is only able to display the internal signals (color bars and colors), it is not even able to display the multiview signal on the control screen.

The equipment is updated to the latest firmware version. It can still be controlled by the computer's atem software.

The equipment is currently 2 years and 2 months old and has hardly been used in this time (no more than 10 hours per week). It is not a 24/7 equipment and is perfectly installed with ventilation and enough space to keep it warm.

I don't know what kind of breakdown it will have or if it's a common breakdown, but I'm certainly very scared about the reliability of a piece of equipment that hasn't had much use and that has stopped working just two months after its warranty runs out (2 years in Europe).

I would like to know if anything similar has happened to anyone and if these devices are really reliable (given their low usage). Thank you very much in advance.

timgregory

Re: Video signals not working in a ATEM 2 M/E Production Stu

PostFri Jun 29, 2018 5:48 pm

It sounds a bit like the ATEM resolution settings might have been changed.

Tim

jjobieta

PostFri Jun 29, 2018 6:18 pm

timgregory wrote:It sounds a bit like the ATEM resolution settings might have been changed.

Tim

No, i checked it. Most strange thing is that multiview is not working, not even the grid is displayed

timgregory

PostFri Jun 29, 2018 7:04 pm

Ah ok.
I thought the multiview could be set to a 4k resolution which not all monitors can handle.

Tim

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 9:05 am

Havent seen this one on my 2me yet.. Has it enough cooling?? Could the problem be re-produced?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

jjobieta

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 9:34 am

Xtreemtec wrote:Havent seen this one on my 2me yet.. Has it enough cooling?? Could the problem be re-produced?

Yes , the ATEM is on a small rack with a hyperdeck and a mac mini. There are free rack units between the elements and three 12v fans on the top cover. We use it few hours so it´s not always on.

The problem is still present, it does not have a multiview output and video signals are grey/green...

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 11:07 am

Contact you local BMD office.. This sounds like a defective piece of equipment.. ;)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

jjobieta

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 4:46 pm

We send the unit to BMD Uk, in order to get repaired. They told us that they could repair it if we accept to loose half of the inputs (2, 4, 6, 8...) .

This repair did not work, and during their testing, almost every input and output was flickering and so the only course of action going forward would be to offer a refurb unit, as this unit is classed as uneconomical for repair.

We´ve lost a 2 years and 2 months equipment, that has been hardly used (it´s in a press room, not in a TV studio).

Now we must buy a new unit or a 4 months warranty refurbished one (half of the price). I´m very dissapointed with BlackMagic. It´s really poor quality reputation that you get from these issues.

What would you do? Buy again a unit that has worked fine for only such small time?

Xtreemtec

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 11:40 am

Well poor you have a bad expierence with this now. But for this money you won't find anything else in this category of gear..

Always calculate in that after the waranty you might need to replace some gear.. It is not a Sony that last for years.. You did not pay the Sony price either.. (10K to 40K) ;)

Return to Live Production