Optical/fiber cable questions for

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

znarkus

Optical/fiber cable questions for

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 2:33 pm

Hi!

We're looking at buying some Mini Converter Optical Fiber 12G to use with our BMD Studio Cameras and ATEM mixer. Mixer -> Converter -> Fiber cable -> Camera

- Should they be used with multi or single mode optical cables?
- Do we need to purchase special SFPs?
- Do they use LC connectors?

I am unable to find any official information about this.

We're looking at upgrading to URSA broadcast cameras later with Camera Converters. Will these cables work for that setup as well?

pederdingo

Re: Optical/fiber cable questions for

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 6:12 pm

Hi Znarkus,

you need to install a 3G, 6G or 12G SDI SFP module to use this.
Blackmagic sells 3G (max 1080p60) and 6G (max 2160p30) - I don't know if they make 12G yet.

Blackmagic's modules use LC single mode (9-125 μm).

The camera converters also use single mode fiber, but it has a special connector, and the cable also has copper connections for the power.
These cables are called SMPTE 311M and the connectors are called SMPTE 304 Lemo PUW-FUW.

If you can get your hands on the older non-12G Mini Converter Optical Fiber adapters I think they come with SFP modules preinstalled.

znarkus

PostTue Jul 03, 2018 11:49 am

Thank you for that informative response!

Sorry I was unclear on the URSA upgrade part. This is our proposed connection schematics:
ATEM mixer <SDI> ATEM Talkback Converter 4K <Single mode fiber> ATEM Camera Converter <SDI> URSA broadcast

Looking at the spec for the Talkback Converter 4K, I understand that I need to add an SFP for every camera.
But the Camera Converter seems to include the required SFP.

We have the original Blackmagic Studio Camera HD (not the new batteryless), I thought it included an SFP, but looking at the the spec it doesn't seem like they do?

Brian Hancock

PostTue Jul 03, 2018 2:45 pm

https://www.fs.com/c/12g-sdi-sfp-plus-2811

others are available but 12g exist ... contact them they can make what you need typically.

Jack Fairley

PostTue Jul 03, 2018 6:14 pm

I haven't used any of their video transceivers, but fs.com is great for regular network gear.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Robert Betzner

PostTue Jul 03, 2018 7:43 pm

Don't buy the camera converters! They are 3G only.

You don't need them anyway if you use the Ursa on the camera end. The Ursa has talkback and tally functionality built in. The camera converter would strip the talkback and tally information. You only need some of the new micro fiber converters with 12G SFP (or 6G) modules on both ends.

Cheers

Robert

Robert Betzner

PostTue Jul 03, 2018 7:45 pm

Brian Hancock wrote:https://www.fs.com/c/12g-sdi-sfp-plus-2811

others are available but 12g exist ... contact them they can make what you need typically.

If bought the 3G Multimode SFPs from FS.com for a special application and they work with the BMD converters without any problems.

Cheers

Robert

znarkus

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 6:01 am

Robert Betzner wrote:Don't buy the camera converters! They are 3G only.

You don't need them anyway if you use the Ursa on the camera end. The Ursa has talkback and tally functionality built in. The camera converter would strip the talkback and tally information. You only need some of the new micro fiber converters with 12G SFP (or 6G) modules on both ends.

Cheers

Robert

Thank you for the feedback! We’re looking at the Camera Converter because it’s superior headset connectors. The iPhone headset jack on the ursa broadcast, with all the adapters needed to connect a good headset, will probably be prone to fail over time.
Interesting that it strips tally.

Robert Betzner

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 7:17 am

Not really. There are really good gaming headsets that have already a 4pin 3,5mm TRS jack on them. So you wouldn't need any adaptors. You can buy them for cheap on Amazon.

And btw. What connectors are you talking of? The camera converter has 3,5mm TRS connectors like the Ursa!

And be aware! The camera converters don't have good headphone preamps. We have 6 of them and nothing but problems because the headphones are way to quiet. They are simply not loud enough for concerts etc. The Ursa on the other hand has a very good headphone amp regarding power. We never had any problems with these. And the other good thing would be: If BMD ever decides to implement a feature that all other OB-Cams have you could switch on talkback with the record button on the zoom remote. But right now this doesn't work sadly. But you can assign a F-switch on the Ursa to switch on the headset microphone.

Cheers

Robert

znarkus

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 9:53 am

Robert Betzner wrote:Not really. There are really good gaming headsets that have already a 4pin 3,5mm TRS jack on them. So you wouldn't need any adaptors. You can buy them for cheap on Amazon.

And btw. What connectors are you talking of? The camera converter has 3,5mm TRS connectors like the Ursa!

And be aware! The camera converters don't have good headphone preamps. We have 6 of them and nothing but problems because the headphones are way to quiet. They are simply not loud enough for concerts etc. The Ursa on the other hand has a very good headphone amp regarding power. We never had any problems with these. And the other good thing would be: If BMD ever decides to implement a feature that all other OB-Cams have you could switch on talkback with the record button on the zoom remote. But right now this doesn't work sadly. But you can assign a F-switch on the Ursa to switch on the headset microphone.

Cheers

Robert

Thank you Robert, that is very good information. Just what I needed. Do you have any recommendation for (gaming) headsets that would work in concert-like conditions?

Robert Betzner

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 11:13 am

Well we bought some of these:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B073W7 ... UTF8&psc=1

They are very good indeed. The sound is terrific and the microphone has a good sound quality too. The good thing about these headsets is, that the volume control is on the left earpiece of the headphones and not on thhe cable. And off course it has a 4pin TRS jack that is compatible with the Ursa.

Just for clarification:
I was talking about the "old" camera converters - the silver ones:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... erter.html

The new ones are called "Fiber Converter" and you need a camera end converter and a base station for each camera that cost around 6000€ per camera. If you do a search in the forum you will find other posts, claiming that the volume of the headset output is very weak on these too. Maybe BMD can change something via a firmware update but who knows.

I can only say: We are very happy with the results that the internal coms of the UMB provide.

Cheers

Robert

Chris Murch

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 6:01 pm

This is the fiber I use:

Perfectly made, perfect service!

https://www.fs.com/products/70220.html

znarkus

PostMon Jul 30, 2018 9:16 am

Thanks everyone for being very helpful!

Chris Murch wrote:This is the fiber I use:

Perfectly made, perfect service!

https://www.fs.com/products/70220.html

Great tip! Good prices also.
What connectors do you use? I think Blackmagic's are LC, but UPC or APC?

Also looking at https://www.fs.com/c/digital-video-transceivers-2757 there are different nm, what are the difference between them?

Robert Betzner wrote:Well we bought some of these:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B073W7 ... UTF8&psc=1

They are very good indeed. The sound is terrific and the microphone has a good sound quality too. The good thing about these headsets is, that the volume control is on the left earpiece of the headphones and not on thhe cable. And off course it has a 4pin TRS jack that is compatible with the Ursa.

Thanks! Some questions:
- How durable is the connector?
- How do they work in load environments?

Amazon DE doesn't ship to them to Sweden, maybe I can find another supplier.

omarti

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 3:59 pm

Robert Betzner wrote:
Brian Hancock wrote:https://www.fs.com/c/12g-sdi-sfp-plus-2811

If bought the 3G Multimode SFPs from FS.com for a special application and they work with the BMD converters without any problems.

Cheers

Robert

Hello Robert remember this chat? I need to buy this kind of SFP MM for use with our BM SDI-Fiber converter.
Can you tell me which SFP MM did you buy? Did it work fine? We have MM fiber already installed.
Thanks

Robert Betzner

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 12:41 pm

omarti wrote:Can you tell me which SFP MM did you buy? Did it work fine? We have MM fiber already installed.
Thanks

Sorry - I don't think they sell MM 3G modules. I bought this one, which is Single Mode:

https://www.fs.com/de/products/26325.ht ... 6&id=28451

Cheers

Robert

Return to Live Production