Time of day

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Kevin McGrath

Time of day

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 10:01 pm

Is there any way of setting the hyperdeck mini to time of day instead of run time
Atem tvs , studio converter 4 camera converters, hyperdeck,40x40 videohub. Master control, jvc gy hm700 &170 Jvc gy hm 150 Panasonic aw he50 aw he 2
Panasonic hpx 300. Panasonic hpx 2000 Sony pdw 350 Panasonic HPD24

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Time of day

PostWed Jul 11, 2018 4:33 am

I think the only way to achieve this is if there is time-of-day timecode embedded with the SDI input signal and the HyperDeck is set to use the input timecode rather than generating its own.

Kirill Ageev

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 2:36 pm

Are there any modestly priced solutions to embed the LTC into SDI signal? The same problem, I've got a facility where time of day, obtained from GPS module, converted to LTC and distributed across all recording devices. Now we need to replace the old VTRs with new cheap recorders, but HyperDeck Mini does not support LTC input :cry:

Denny Smith

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 4:59 pm

LTC can be inserted into an audio track, not sure if the Hyperdeck Mini supports this, but some BM cameras do.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Kirill Ageev

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 7:01 pm

I can embed the LTC as an audio track using the audio console, stealing the 1 audio track of 4 to be recorded. But I'm not sure whether the Hyperdeck is able to read it.

As far as I understood, even the burnt-in VITC on lines 17-19 is not enough, we have to have ancillary timecode.

Denny Smith wrote:LTC can be inserted into an audio track, not sure if the Hyperdeck Mini supports this, but some BM cameras do.
Cheers

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 8:41 pm

While it is possible to record LTC on an audio track. Some programs like Resolve can be set to use it. The Hyperdecks, however, do not read it in that form. The time code must be previously embedded in the SDI for the Hyperdeck Mini.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Dave Del Vecchio

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 11:54 pm

The Teranex Mini Audio to SDI can embed timecode into an SDI signal. The Teranex Mini units have the same form factor as the HyperDeck Mini and can sit side by side on a rack shelf. Unfortunately, they cost almost as much as the HyperDeck Mini units, so it can add significantly to the overall cost if you have a lot of HyperDecks recording separate video channels, since you'd need a Teranex Mini for each.

It would be nice if the timecode input capabilities could be added to the Audio to SDI mini converters for those that don't need the 12G SDI capabilities of the Teranex Minis.

I've also wondered if you could use something like the SDI Arduino Shield to embed timecode information. Both the Blackmagic camera control commands and SMPTE RP 188 are embedded as ancillary data in the SDI video signal, so in principle it's just a matter of writing some different ancillary data packets into the SDI stream. Unfortunately though, I think the SDI Arduino Shield may only support writing ancillary data packets with the Data ID for the Blackmagic camera control and tally protocols (timecode data uses a different Data ID).

Return to Live Production