Caspar CG & Blackmagic Deckling Extreme 4k

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

20mChop

Caspar CG & Blackmagic Deckling Extreme 4k

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 7:00 am

Hi Everyone

Sorry i know this isn't strictly a blackmagic hardware issue, however i am in desperate need and no one has come back to me on the Caspar forums. Below is my issue, i am hoping someone here has had the same problem.

I am having the following problem when trying to playback any file in caesar that is 59,94 framrate. The audio sounds slowed down, and glitchy as well ads the video has micro stutters. This is extremely weird as just last week i played back 59,94 content with absolutely no problem.

I also noticed i could get CG to play back 29,97 content and it would use its converter to double the frame rate and play out correctly at 59,94. However this has also stopped working.

I need to play media with alpha channel as well as inserts that don't require an alpha. My Setup is as follows:

PC:
CPU - i7 3770K
GPU - Gt 740
Ram - DDR 3 1600 mghz 12 Gigs
Drive Adata SSD 500 Gig
Playout Card - Black Magic Decklink 4k Extreme

All files are H.264 Quicktime with a bit rate of 4500 kbps, have tried both AAC audio at 128 kbps as well as PCM audio at 48kHz and 44.1 kHz at both 16 and 24Bit. Changes nothing.

My current work around is to set my channels on CG server to 29,97, output that out of the deckling card and then use 2x UpdownCross HD's for key and fill to convert it back to 59,94 for the ATEM. it works fine and the audio and video playback is perfect, however i don't want to sacrifice two converters just for the purpose of ensuring Caspars playback works, when i have had Caspar playback 59,94 files just last week with no issue whats so ever.

Please can someone point me in the right direction!

Knut Bussian

Re: Caspar CG & Blackmagic Deckling Extreme 4k

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 7:12 am

The most obvious question would be:

If you were able to play back files with 59.94fps last week, what has changed in your system, that you can't anymore?

20mChop

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 7:37 am

Knut Bussian wrote:The most obvious question would be:

If you were able to play back files with 59.94fps last week, what has changed in your system, that you can't anymore?

100% that is obviously the first thing I think of, whenever something stops working I go, what was the last thing I changed before it stopped working. However the bad news here is this system has been off since we did our live stream last Thursday. No windows, Desktop video, Nvidia or any other driver or update has been installed or changed during this time. Thats why we have been so confused. The files are still in the Caspar rundown from last Thursday and they are not working.

Really at a loss, want to just re install Caspar CG from scratch. Extremely confused.

Pascale Paris

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 7:43 am

I have seen something similar have you tried restarting the server and playing again

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Knut Bussian

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 7:45 am

What OS are you running? Has any sort of OS update happened? Windows 10 is known for that.

Do you have the newest drivers for your graphics card? This has given lately me all sorts of trouble when something weird is going on.

20mChop

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 7:58 am

Pascale Paris wrote:I have seen something similar have you tried restarting the server and playing again

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Definitely yes, have tried everything with regards to channel configuration, with regards to buffer size, pretty much everything you can do on the frontend of the server and it solves nothing unfortunately.

20mChop

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 8:04 am

Knut Bussian wrote:What OS are you running? Has any sort of OS update happened? Windows 10 is known for that.

Do you have the newest drivers for your graphics card? This has given lately me all sorts of trouble when something weird is going on.

No OS update has occurred I have blocked windows 10 updates from occurring in the Registry as well as group policy and blocked it from running as a service I am on 1709 build haven't moved to windows fall creaters update.

I have subsequently updated the graphics driver to the latest on nvidias website 398.36 with a custom clean install. Even tried a DDU uninstaller just to ensure everything was wiped and installed from scratch. Restart after the install and tried other 3D applications using Open GL and there is no problem at all with the drivers.

Have run all my videos through VLC which also uses the FFMPEG standard and they play smooth as a babies bottom. Why can caspar layout 30fps or 29.97 without problems but 59.94 it just freaks out something cronic.

Knut Bussian

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 8:10 am

You could give this one a try:

Don't use the frontend. Instead start CasparCG Server by itself.

I have a machine with vMix, NDI and CasparCG installed and cannot use the frontend as well as Client 2.08 anymore. Don't kow why, but there seems to be some difference. I'm back to using Server with Admin rights and Client 2.07

20mChop

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 8:23 am

Knut Bussian wrote:You could give this one a try:

Don't use the frontend. Instead start CasparCG Server by itself.

I have a machine with vMix, NDI and CasparCG installed and cannot use the frontend as well as Client 2.08 anymore. Don't kow why, but there seems to be some difference. I'm back to using Server with Admin rights and Client 2.07

Cool, I will give it a try and get back to you with the result.

pederdingo

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 12:27 pm

I don't know if this helps, but our decklinks have a tendency to become a bit loose they are transported with the breakout cable still attached.
This results in some jitter and no sync.

This is solved by pulling the decklink card out and reseating it on the motherboard.
Maybe this will help in your case too?

rogersuski

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 2:50 pm

Were the files you played last week also h264? In my admittedly less than ideal setup, I found that a countdown would playback slower than realtime when delivered in h264, but played as expected when delivered as ProRes 720p59.94

Return to Live Production