input XGA on ATEM

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

flafor

input XGA on ATEM

PostMon Apr 29, 2013 9:27 am

hi,
it's possible to connect (HDMI in) an PC with XGA resolution output (from HDMI) ?
tks

Thomas Seewald

Re: input XGA on ATEM

PostMon Apr 29, 2013 10:16 am

ATEM mixers accept for every input only the mode, which is selected for output. ATEM has no scalers.

As I know, XGA has a resolution of 1024×768. ATEM mixers support 1920×1080 (1080i) and 1280×720 (720p) as HD-resolution. Maybe your graphics-card can be configured for a SD-reolution, so it could be used, when ATEM is in SD-mode.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Eric Darling

PostMon Apr 29, 2013 1:05 pm

You need to conform all of your inputs to the same resolution with ATEM switchers. Whatever your selected output mode, that's what you'll need to scale your XGA signal to prior to input on the ATEM.
Eric Darling | eThree Media
www.ethreemedia.com

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostMon Apr 29, 2013 5:24 pm

You can if you add a scaler between your XGA output and the ATEM. As the others have mentioned, the ATEM wants either 1080i or 720p with no exceptions. XGA is 1024x768 so it won't work out of the box.

A box like this http://www.markertek.com/Video-Equipmen ... D550.xhtml for $250 will take an HDMI input at whatever resolution (XGA for example) and scale it to 1080i for you. I have not tested this box with the ATEM and it is possible that the HDMI output will not handshake correctly with the ATEM. I have tried this box: http://www.markertek.com/Video-Equipmen ... 0VGA.xhtml which takes a VGA input and scales it to a 1080i HDMI output and have found that it does not work with the ATEMs, so make sure you're able to return the unit in case it doesn't play nice.

Your other option is to set the output resolution of your computer to the same input resolution of your ATEM (1080i or 720p). Most PowerPoint or presentation software will scale correctly. If you're running this through a projector and hitting a screen, you can have the black bars just shoot off the screen so you don't pillarbox and letterbox the image. Or find a way to cover the black shooting from the sides.

Thanks,

Benjamin

PS - I have stopped linking to B&H because I'm sick of them being closed for 1/2 the year. I personally won't give them any more business, but you're free to check there too.
Benjamin Higginbotham
TMRO - Making Space Commonplace

Return to Live Production