Mini Converter SDI to HDMI: Video comes and goes

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Aliusa

Mini Converter SDI to HDMI: Video comes and goes

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Hello,

I recently purchased the Mini Converter SDI to HDMI wPSU.

I am feeding a video from Sony EVI-HD1 camera using RJ59 (Swann Pro-Series HD) into the converter. The HDMI output is going into my TV. The video appears but then goes blank, then reappears periodically. When the video is steady the converter LED next to the SDI is steady but when the images goes blank the LED is blinking.

Has anyone experienced this and what can I do diagnose and fix this problem.

Thanks,
Aliusa

Xtreemtec

Re: Mini Converter SDI to HDMI: Video comes and goes

PostWed Jul 11, 2018 9:17 am

The blinking led near the SDI means that your HDMI monitor is not connected or supported..

Try a different HDMI cable (keep this cable short.. Dont go over 2 meters) , Different HDMI port (if the tv has another one.)

If it keeps failing try another TV / monitor with HDMI input to see if this works.

@Moderators:: When will this blinking led be implemented in the Manual??!! This question gets asked a lot in the forum...
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Aliusa

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 11:21 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:The blinking led near the SDI means that your HDMI monitor is not connected or supported..

Try a different HDMI cable (keep this cable short.. Dont go over 2 meters) , Different HDMI port (if the tv has another one.)

If it keeps failing try another TV / monitor with HDMI input to see if this works.

@Moderators:: When will this blinking led be implemented in the Manual??!! This question gets asked a lot in the forum...

Thanks for responding, I tried what you suggested. No luck, even tried a 4 feet 4k certified HDMI cable nothing. When I wiggle the HDMI wire.near the box out put the image appears. Is it possible my.mini.converter is bad?

Thanks,
Aliusa

Markus Leodolter

PostSat Jul 14, 2018 7:57 am

If wiggling the HDMI cable changes the fault, your converter is probably defective.

How long is your SDI cable? Did you try another SDI cable?

Xtreemtec

PostSat Jul 14, 2018 1:54 pm

Also did you try a different monitor?

Wiggling can introducé a small disconnect from
Were the hdmi key negotiation starts again. Sometimes that triggers a image too.
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Markus Leodolter

PostSat Jul 14, 2018 10:01 pm

Did you try amother converter? Microconverters are quite cheap...

Aliusa

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 8:22 pm

So, I purchased another mini converter had the same issue. So I went ahead and bought 3 foot BNC cable, this one is a lot thicker than one I mentioned in the original post and now it is working properly.

So, does the light mean that it could be either the HDMI or the SDI signal coming in? I do think there needs to be a document or table in the manual for for debugging purposes.

Thanks all for your help.

By the way I plan to run a 100+ feet of BNC from the camera to the converter would that be a problem?

Aliusa

Xtreemtec

PostSat Jul 21, 2018 10:36 pm

100 Meters should be abe to run with the propper cable like Belden 1694A.

No light means no SDI. Steady blinking means no HDMI or HDMI problems.. Steady light means OK. :)

AND yes this should be in the manual.. We also found this out in the field by doing and debugging what went wrong. ;)

Return to Live Production