Which Camera for Church?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

spydervenom

Which Camera for Church?

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 1:30 pm

I am the new media director at my church and I am looking to upgrade equipment and am looking around to see what would be idea and I think a black magic camera may do the trick. We currently have 4 Canon XLH1's on tripods with controllers and 2 monitors per each camera to show live view and preview.

We aren't a mega church or even a big church. We run about 150 each service, but we have had a nice online presence over the last few years and we want to look really professional.

I've been looking at the two live cameras that BM has, the Studio Camera and the Micro Studio Camera 4K. Is the only reason the Studio Camera is more expensive because of the monitor? Cause we probably don't need that. Any overall suggestions on which camera is better?

Bonus question - I am looking to make all our cameras motorized so that we don't have to have people on a camera all the time anymore. Instead, they can just be in a room controlling them all. I love the idea of using the Control Panel that BM sells, but we currently use vMix. Does that Control Panel work with vMix?

Thanks for all the help you can give me!

Xtreemtec

Re: Which Camera for Church?

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 4:45 pm

Real advice..

Both cameras you mention aren't great if it comes to full servo lenses..

If you already use Vmix why not buy 2 PTZ cams and control them from Vmix? ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

spydervenom

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 6:07 pm

Do you think that the PTZ cameras could produce a better image than the Canon XLH1's that we are currently using?

Kevin McGrath

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 9:17 pm

I agree.
With the extra money you would spend on monitors you can buy a third ptz
Start small. Got used to what you have then learn from it. Then try and up grade later.
No sense in spending a big budget. Do what you can afford.
Atem tvs , studio converter 4 camera converters, hyperdeck,40x40 videohub. Master control, jvc gy hm700 &170 Jvc gy hm 150 Panasonic aw he50 aw he 2
Panasonic hpx 300. Panasonic hpx 2000 Sony pdw 350 Panasonic HPD24

spydervenom

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 10:23 pm

That’s the thing, we have everything we could ever need (monitors, tripods, a great computer, wiring, zoom and focus controller for all 4 cameras) so we just want to upgrade cameras. I thought the Micro would be perfect because it requires monitors and we already have all that.

Markus Leodolter

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 1:36 pm

with a ptz you can change the picture from your place and you don't need a cameraman at all, only one who directs all cameras. if it is static you perhaps can do that yourself. you can use the existing cables snd you need a cat cable to each camera.
you need 2 ptz cameras, for example panasonic hn40 and i suggest one remote unit.

Howard Roll

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 11:13 pm

spydervenom wrote:That’s the thing, we have everything we could ever need (monitors, tripods, a great computer, wiring, zoom and focus controller for all 4 cameras) so we just want to upgrade cameras. I thought the Micro would be perfect because it requires monitors and we already have all that.

You don't have lenses and that's the monkey in the wrench.

I'd look for gains in other places. Is your entire signal chain HDSDI? That would be the first thing I'd look at.

Denny Smith

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 6:08 am

I agree with Howard, if all you cables to cameras from the switcher are SD cables, then you need to upgrade to at least 6G SDI cables. Your existing Canon cameras worked OK with SD and 3G cables, but a camera like the Micro Studio needs at least 6G SDI cable connections.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

spydervenom

PostSun Jul 22, 2018 1:35 pm

We currently use SDI cables for our camera set up so all those cables are in place

Denny Smith

PostSun Jul 22, 2018 6:33 pm

Good, but how old are they, and what is their transmission capabilities? Not all SDI cables are the same. If they are older SD SDI cables, then they re not going to work with the Studio/Micro Studio Cameras in UHD or even HD resolution. For HD, you need at least 3G cables for short runs, and 6G cables for long runs, UHD requires the new 12G cables.

If you are not sure, and can not read the cable labeling, get one Micro Studio Camera, and hook it up,to a csmera position, and test to see if you can get a video feed from it to your switcher position by hooking up the other (switcher) end to a HD capable SDI monitor/TV.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production