Using an Apple TV box (gen3) with ATEM TS

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Dominic Irving

Using an Apple TV box (gen3) with ATEM TS

PostWed May 01, 2013 8:47 pm

Has anyone connected up via HDMI an Apple TV3 to the ATEM TS ? Is the HDCP on the Apple TV3 always active? Would like to use it as a means of "playing in" stuff we have filmed in the passed, i.e. all stuff that Doesn't have any sort of copy protection on it, MOVs that have been encoded to Apple TV codec. Will this make any difference? Or will it be the same as when I plugged my HDMI DVD player to the ATEM and just got a black screen ?? Seems like it would be a great little unit to use as a play in deck, especially with the iPad app as well!!

On a similar vain I have a collection of about 300 DVD's that I ripped to MPEG2 (using MagicDVD ripper) to play on my old media player, if I convert these to Apple TV will they play? In the past I've ripped DVD's using MagicDVD ripper and imported them to iTunes and synced with the iPad and that has worked.... Or is that not the same. Sorry I know that question has nothing to do with the ATEM but seemed worth asking at the same time :-)
Lots of Blackmagic kit in a twin Dish mobile KA-Sat Van for Broadcast and Internet lives

lotech

Re: Using an Apple TV box (gen3) with ATEM TS

PostThu May 02, 2013 3:10 am

It'll work but keep in mind the Apple TV can only output progressive signals so that means 720P50/60 only no 1080i signals.

Dominic Irving

PostThu May 02, 2013 6:24 am

That's ok as the ATEM is currently set to 720p and it's not really an issue for my home stuff
Lots of Blackmagic kit in a twin Dish mobile KA-Sat Van for Broadcast and Internet lives

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostThu May 02, 2013 6:58 am

Apple TV gen 2 was 720p .. Apple TV gen 3 is 1080p i think .. im not 100% sure .. i have here only 2gen ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Daniel Knoche

PostThu May 02, 2013 9:57 am

Don't have an ATEM but do have an Apple TV (3rd gen) and SDI switcher. Found with an HDMI to SDI converter, there was no input because of HDCP. And I dare say you'd have the same issue with an ATEM. A DVI extender does work however (But will also need something like a gefen digital to analogue audio converter to go from digital audio to 3.5mm via an RCA-3.5mm lead)
Daniel

b7a4

PostThu May 02, 2013 7:34 pm

I have no problem connecting my gen3 Apple TV to my Atem TVS. The gen3 allows you to choose your output format, which includes 1080i 60hz (what I'm running). 720p is also a usable option.

All through HDMI.

Daniel Knoche

PostThu May 02, 2013 10:31 pm

Good to know, hope to be getting an ATEM 2 M/E and Apple TV
Daniel

John Saunders

PostFri May 03, 2013 5:33 pm

Just installed one of these in a studio and it works fine. HDCP protected content will not play but it will mirror ipads and iphone screens just fine. My client was using it for demoing apps.
John Saunders

Mikael Schäder

PostSat May 04, 2013 1:51 pm

I have tried the same without success. I have an ATEM TVS and Apple TV gen 3, all with latest updates.
Tried both 720p50/60. All i manage to get is the Applelogo when i restart the Apple TV, a quick green flash, then nothing. Anybody have any suggestions?
If I connect a Teranex in line, with 720p50 in and 720p50 out, connect via HDMI, it works but as soon as i connect the Apple TV to an HDMI input on TVS, it seems as the Apple TV changes its output format by it selves
although the TVS is set to 720p50?????

/Mikael

jeff_videogearinc.

Re: Using sdi to hdmi mini converter to teranex hdmi

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 8:30 am

im using blackmagic sdi to hdmi mini converter to teranex hdmi input but is not working... i need some help please...

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 4:51 pm

Mostly this is a response to videoteknik but this might also apply to jeff_videogearinc.

You must make sure to connect your Apple TV to a regular monitor and to modify video settings to select the specific video format needed. Otherwise it will attempt to configure itself to the video settings of the attached black magic device (and depending on the EDID information it usually chooses the wrong format).

The other thing to watch out for if you are running 60/59.95Hz (if you are using an ATEM) is the firmware version. You must have 3.4 or above (this is the old 60hz "bug"... if you had 3.3 or 3.2 it no longer supported the Apple TV as it only seems to support 60hz).
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Return to Live Production