Questions regarding ATEM TVS and Micro Converters

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Adam Grunseth

Questions regarding ATEM TVS and Micro Converters

PostSun Aug 05, 2018 6:53 pm

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum, but I've been using Blackmagic gear for years. Nearly six years ago now I built a flypack based around the old ATEM TVS switcher, which also utilized hyperdecks. This was a large flypack, it required a multi-person crew to transport and setup. While performance was great, and I have made money with it, I am looking to add a smaller, less capable, easier to transport flypack to my kit. This new flypack I am likely going to build around the new ATEM TVS. In planning this new flypack, I have come up with a few questions that I can't seem to find authoritative answers to.

First question, regarding the camera return outputs on the switcher, are these outputs essentially just program outputs, or are they somehow unique to each camera? The reason I ask is that the switcher has eight video inputs, but only four camera return outputs. If I wanted to run eight Blackmagic Studio cameras with control and talkback through the ATEM switcher, could I use a SDI splitter to get 8 camera return outputs?

Second question- I noticed the first four inputs on the switcher are HDMI inputs. My workflow is based entirely on SDI. As a result, I was thinking about using Blackmagic's Micro SDI to HDMI converters on these inputs. However, I am concerned that doing this may create a noticeable delay on those inputs. What kind of delay is introduced into the signal when using the SDI to HDMI micro converter?

Finally, the micro converters run off a USB power adapter. Do they run off the standard USB 5v power? Or do they require a higher USB charging voltage? I don't want to run each converter off a separate power adapter, so I am trying to figure out if I can run them all off a powered USB hub that supplies 5v, or if I need a charger that can charge to 4 usb ports.

Denny Smith

Re: Questions regarding ATEM TVS and Micro Converters

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 4:46 pm

The Camera returns are bssically a Program Out, and you can can add a SDI distribution amp to one out to get eight total. Each camera will have its own ID for CCU control.

Regarding the HDMI inputs, you are limited to a HDMI cable of 12 to 15-feet max, so the Converters will need to be next to the switcher for best results.

The MicroConverter is a standard USB, 5VDC power requirement. Not sure about any delay from them, but I have used the Mini Converters with no noticeable delay, and they are one, more reliable, second, take standard 12-volt input, which can be from a single higher amp source, like a multi-output power supply or a battery/BDS system. They also can be mounted in a sets Darden 19-inch rack panel or shelf quite easily.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 6:38 pm

The micro's are perfect for that.. I have 2 on my TVS HD setup to make 6x sdi.
The delay isn't notisable.. It is basically a reclocker and serial to parrallel data transfer.. But there is no processing going on.

The mini converters run on a FPGA that gets HOT.. wouldn't be my first choice.. ;)

You can put the microconverters on a USB hub, they draw about 150/200ma a piece.. Dont forget that if your hub / powersource fails all converters go down at once ;)

Microconverters are also great to have behind tv's / monitors with integrated USB port.. Just hook it up and 9/10 times there is 5V supplied.. So no fuzz with an extra power supply.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 6:57 pm

Thanks Daniel, good to know. I remember some issues with the Micro Converters when they first came out.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production