ATEM TVS - do I need more gear?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

EASE-International

ATEM TVS - do I need more gear?

PostFri May 03, 2013 9:51 am

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing the ATEM TVS for livestreaming to livestream.com.

Anyone got any experience with using this on a macbook pro to stream to livestream?

I plan 2 cameras, running SDI into the ATEM, plus a feed from the venue projector into the HDMI, and mixed audio from the venue's mixing desk. I have a macbook pro (with USB 2.0) and a monitor for the ATEM.

I want to perform switching, send a stream to livestream.com, and simultaneously record the livestream to disk for later.

I think I can send the mixed vision from the ATEM out to livestream.com using the Livestream Procaster software. Not exactly sure if I need something else to get from the ATEM into the Procaster software.

Will the ATEM TVS (with the above) do the job? Or do I need something else?

Appreciate your advice / experience on this.

Allen Freeman

Re: ATEM TVS - do I need more gear?

PostSat May 04, 2013 5:48 pm

I don't use Livestream so others more knowledgeable may jump in here and correct me, but it is my understanding that the Livestream software can use the H.264 encoded USB output of the TVS as an input.

See here, for one:

http://help.livestream.com/customer/por ... ion-studio
~~
Allen Freeman
Penn's Hill Media
www.pennshill.com

EASE-International

PostSun May 05, 2013 2:27 am

Thanks, so it appears that I'll be able to run the h264 out from the ATEM via USB 2.0 to the laptop running Livstreams Procaster software that will pump it out to livestream.com

Thanks for all the help... still new to the technical details of all this and appreciate the help.

I wonder if I could do this on the same Mac laptop as I'll use to control to ATEM ? Or do I need a second computer for this?

And also if I can I record the stream to disk at the same time, on the same computer?

George Sickler

PostSun May 05, 2013 3:45 am

EASE-International wrote:Thanks, so it appears that I'll be able to run the h264 out from the ATEM via USB 2.0 to the laptop running Livstreams Procaster software that will pump it out to livestream.com

Thanks for all the help... still new to the technical details of all this and appreciate the help.

I wonder if I could do this on the same Mac laptop as I'll use to control to ATEM ? Or do I need a second computer for this?

And also if I can I record the stream to disk at the same time, on the same computer?

I use a mac mini i5 with 8g of ram serving up a mobile + medium stream with perfect streaming right from the TVS. no troubles, any setting higher and I get warnings.

Then We are using a new HP desktop that has an i3 processor, and it has a little trouble with a medium stream. direct from an h.264 recorder, no tvs.

Geo
George Sickler
Colorado Digital Video

Dominic Irving

PostSun May 05, 2013 9:24 am

It's probably fine having the ATEN consul and the streaming on the same computer, only problem is positioning the encoding page so you can keep an eye on it. Have you got an iPad?? There's a great app that let's you control the ATEM units from an iPad. If you want to capture the SDI or HDMI mixed output I would have another computer doing this or it's asking a bit much, we used a BMD mini recorder via thunderbolt, cheap and does what we need.
Lots of Blackmagic kit in a twin Dish mobile KA-Sat Van for Broadcast and Internet lives

Return to Live Production