Newbie Questions-Studio/Micro Studio Setup

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

soldiercide

Newbie Questions-Studio/Micro Studio Setup

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 7:22 pm

I am looking to somewhat future-proof our live production game here, and I'm a bit out of my depth. We have always used conventional webcams, but want to step up the production value; so, here we come 4k. I am building a computer that should be able to handle whatever we throw at it, but I'm not sure how to get the data from this sort of camera to the computer and through OBS. I've run a number of search queries, and can't seem to find the information I am looking for; most likely a product of my fundamental lack of knowledge. There are converters, cards, and some neat looking things with buttons, toggles, and levers that look like they belong in a spaceship.

I want to stick the thing on a tripod, hook it to the computer, run it through OBS, stream, and have control over the zoom on the powered mft lens. Can anyone point me in the right direction to acquiring the information I need to make this setup work? I appreciate the time and any responses.

Jack Fairley

Re: Newbie Questions-Studio/Micro Studio Setup

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 1:53 am

To get the camera into OBS, you need a Decklink or UltraStudio device. There are some threads already about MFT lenses with zoom control, if you use the search function.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Denny Smith

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 2:20 am

You can also use the Web Presenter for HD signals, but not 4K.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Eric-Jan

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 5:46 pm

Future proof ? you will never be :) 4K isn't there yet, it's a heavy load on everything, Holywood exports only 2K and scales it up to Blu-ray, where DVD is still the mainstream format.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Denny Smith

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 1:56 am

I agree Eric, trying to stream UHD is a pain, let alone full 4K DCS, 4K is more of an shooting resolution, than a deliverable at this point, and for several years to come. UHD is not even a common delivery resolution, except for places like NetFlix.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Eric-Jan

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 7:37 am

I guess a big advantage of it all is, that, full HD equipment is available at a affordable price, nowadays.
Lucky us :)
Also, many people don't spend that much time,(anymore) watching at a big flat tv screen, media has become much more volatile, also because of easy, cheap storage space and streaming.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Live Production