Talkback Bridge for Studio 4k

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

mrpackethead

Talkback Bridge for Studio 4k

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi, I'm looking at adding a Studio 4k camera to our mix up of cameras. I love the idea that we can have a fully integrated camera with Tally, and Coms etc thats got native fibre outputs.

The one issue O have is that I need to be able to bridge the coms into our existing clear-com system. I could use the 4 way studio adaptor, but since I only have a single camera, that seems a bit overkill. I also need to be able to get the audio back from the camera, as i'll have presenters mics connected.

Does anyone have any suggestions what i could do?

Xtreemtec

Re: Talkback Bridge for Studio 4k

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 9:06 am

Not easy.. You could buy a audio embedder and de-embedder.. Set it up to run channels 15-16 and insert / retrieve your audio from there. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

mrpackethead

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 7:59 pm

Thats an interesting idea. Does anyone know if the audio is just stock standard?

Xtreemtec

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 12:30 pm

Yeah you can just run standard audio embedders / de-embedders.. I have a broadcast monitor were you can select which audio channel you want to listen.. set to 15/16 and you will hear the intercom audio.

They use the last 2 embedded audio channels to run intercom. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

MambaFiber.com

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 4:04 pm

so even if you get this interfaced, I think you will find the way BMD does intercom is pretty poor. their idea of a party line is to simply mix all talkers together, and feed the same mix to all listeners. as you can see by the comments around here, this just doesn't work. there's no provision to balance out anyone, or to keep your own mic from drowning out what you really want to hear. and even though they use 2 channels of audio in their system, they are both the same channel-what a waste.

do yourself a favor and just run an XLR cable to your camera and give him a CC belt pack. not only will this be more cost effective, but the intercom performance will far exceed what BMD is doing.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

mrpackethead

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 8:40 pm

MambaFiber.com wrote:so even if you get this interfaced, I think you will find the way BMD does intercom is pretty poor. their idea of a party line is to simply mix all talkers together, and feed the same mix to all listeners. as you can see by the comments around here, this just doesn't work. there's no provision to balance out anyone, or to keep your own mic from drowning out what you really want to hear. and even though they use 2 channels of audio in their system, they are both the same channel-what a waste.

do yourself a favor and just run an XLR cable to your camera and give him a CC belt pack. not only will this be more cost effective, but the intercom performance will far exceed what BMD is doing.

My cameras are likely to start getting to distances that make running XLR's out a non goer. Being able to run everythign on a single Fibre pair is very very attractive.

I've been able to assemble enough bits to check this out, this weekend, an audio de-embedder and embedder, so i should be able to see whats happening.

Return to Live Production