ATEM Camera Converter 4k PGM

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

rallymatt

ATEM Camera Converter 4k PGM

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 3:18 pm

Hi,

Have a new Atem Television Studio 4k and ATEM Talkback Converter 4k.

Camera 1-4 are BM Studio 4k 2 Cam's. 5-6 we are currently using ATEM Camera Converters, over fiber, connected to GoPro's. The inbound feed to switcher works fine, but there is no PGM out when the switcher is set to 2160p. If I set the switcher to 1080p, I get a PGM feed out of the camera converter. Which is cool, but I need to work in 4k.

I am assuming this is because the ATEM Camera Converter doesn't support a 4k PGM feed back from the switcher. But upon looking in the manual, it does indicate the converters being plugged into a Talkback Converter 4k, with a program feed to monitor out of the Camera Converter. I am using 12g transceivers.

Any ideas?
Attachments
CamConverter.jpg
CamConverter.jpg (301.9 KiB) Viewed 814 times

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: ATEM Camera Converter 4k PGM

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Hello Matt. The camera converters are a 3G product in both directions and designed long before 12G. They will work as you have found with 3G but if your ATEM is sending a 6G or 12G signal, you will need to down convert the program output feeding the Talkback Converter. If the Gopro cameras are feeding the camera converter and working then I assume you are running the ATEM in 3G anyway or I am not understanding your workflow.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

rallymatt

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 4:04 pm

Gary Adams wrote:Hello Matt. The camera converters are a 3G product in both directions and designed long before 12G. They will work as you have found with 3G but if your ATEM is sending a 6G or 12G signal, you will need to down convert the program output feeding the Talkback Converter. If the Gopro cameras are feeding the camera converter and working then I assume you are running the ATEM in 3G anyway or I am not understanding your workflow.

Regards, Gary

Thanks Gary. Bummer.

ATEM is in 2160p mode, as we are running a 4k program. We are using a few GoPro's at 1080 because why not. Would love them to be able to see PGM.

Would the Teranex 12g SDI distribution be able to input the 12g from the switcher, and output 3g prior to the 4k talkback converter program input?

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 12:18 am

Hello Matt. The SDI Distribution is exact copies of the input. You might be thinking of maybe the SDI to Quad which if set to 2SI which may give you a suitable 3G program feed but will not have Tally or CCU type data. Using our gear, the Teranex AV would work.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Xtreemtec

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 9:23 am

A teranex AV would work to downconvert the PGM 4K to HD with Ancillary data, Tally, Intercom.

THe HD output on the mixer does not have this data on it.. Which is a bit of a pain for everyone who want to use a 3G down to cameras.. (Maybe to integrate the SDI shield or something.. But it wont have the data you need on it... :roll: :roll: )
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production