Best way to get DVI or VGA into ATEM TVS ?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

EASE-International

Best way to get DVI or VGA into ATEM TVS ?

PostSat May 04, 2013 4:22 am

Hi,

I'd like to take a feed from a venue's projector into an ATEM TVS, so that I can switch between the projector output and my cameras. The projector will likely be quite far from the ATEM and I am not sure what resolution the projector will give me. I'm not even sure yet if I'll get DVI or VGA out from the back of the projector. Also the projector resolution might vary during the event, as each speaker will use their own laptop.

Is the Blackmagic DVI Extender the right kit to handle this?

And would the changing resolution from the DVI source be a problem for the ATEM?
(I understand has to have a consistent resolution across all inputs)

Many thanks for your input!

Allen Freeman

Re: Best way to get DVI or VGA into ATEM TVS ?

PostSat May 04, 2013 5:40 pm

I would split the VGA source to the projector, take it into a VGA scaler, and take the output of the scaler (probably HDMI) into the ATEM. That way you can scale the VGA signal so it matches your cameras.

I use a Kramer VP-434 for this, though if I were to buy it now I'd probably go for the VP-435 which also accepts HDMI input.
~~
Allen Freeman
Penn's Hill Media
www.pennshill.com

bobzelin

PostSat May 04, 2013 6:30 pm

you need to know the resolution that the projector will put out. The ATEM will take a DVI signal as long as it is 1080i or 720p. For example, when you take a MacBook Pro output, when you plug the DVI port into an ATEM, and reboot, the graphics card will go to 1080i 59.95. You go into the HDMI input, and it works just fine. But if the projector won't change format, then it won't work. I have seen this not work a long time ago (before the ATEM) with a BMD DVI to HD-SDI converter and a Panasonic switcher. The laptop was putting out 60, not 59.94, and we could not get the signal into the switcher.

NOW, if you are willing to spend $995, you can forget about all of this, and get the AJA ROI or Matrox DVI Convert, which will convert the DVI signal into any format you want, and spit out an HD-SDI signal for the ATEM.

As for VGA, this is an analog signal, so you will need a box from Kramer or Gefen (or others) to convert the VGA (RGBHV) into a DVI digital signal. So VGA changes the whole ballgame - you just can't stick a VGA cable into any HD-SDI switcher without external electronics.

Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com

Tobias Dieterich

PostSun May 05, 2013 3:46 pm

I use a Kramer VP-728 (often with a HDMI->SDI mini converter).
Tobias Dieterich | T.D. Video Engineering | www.tdvideo.de

video and embedded software engineer
ready for SMPTE ST 2110

mrmaverick

PostMon May 06, 2013 2:47 am

I use the Atlona 500. Works perfect every time.

George Sickler

PostTue May 07, 2013 11:38 pm

We have used Air Parrot via Apple TV 3, it works very well! Limitation is its 720p only.
George Sickler
Colorado Digital Video

Return to Live Production