power cycling kills smart video hub 12x12

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

drathaus

power cycling kills smart video hub 12x12

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 11:57 pm

Hey guys,
I've got a smart hub in a bigfoot mobile cart, powered by a UPS. Every time I disconnect and reconnect the power to the UPS, to move the cart, the hub will power back on, then the screen goes blank. I can see internal lights from the back and can feel the fan operating. I have to disconnect the power directly from the hub and reconnect it before it comes back on. Sometimes, I need to do this two or three times to bring it back.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Most recent updates to the software are active already.

Thanks

Asgeir Hustad

Re: power cycling kills smart video hub 12x12

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 7:28 am

Sounds like your UPS isn't doing all that great in the switchover. Is it an on-line or off-line-type? If it is off-line and a bit slow in the transfer switch from mains to battery backup, you'll get a voltage drop for a little while, and the VideoHub might react to that.

drathaus

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Thanks. It is offline. I think you're correct. I'd like to find a way to just power up like normal. Power cycling a few times every time we have to power down will get embarrassing. I guess the solution would be to switch out the UPS and see if that changes anything.
I haven't seen any settings on the smart hub that would address a powering issue, do you know of any?
Thanks mate

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 12:08 am

Sounds like a "jolt" to the power causes this. The best way to power cycle is disconnect and wait 5-10 seconds. Then apply power.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Xtreemtec

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 9:30 am

Also if not already.. Get a Pure Sinewave ups.. Most UPS's are squared wave UPS's Which isn't that great for delicated hardware like this..

And better have a Online ups as mentioned before.. As the peaks between swtiching to and from UPS mode(with a relay ) causes interupted waves.. Which do mess with power supplies and reset circuits..

So best is to replace the UPS with a good known brand.. (APC, Eaton, ) and check specs for pure sinewave.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production