HDSDI Cables

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Fred Rodrigues

HDSDI Cables

PostSat May 04, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi, I am looking for high quality cables for HDSDI and for ethernet. At the moment I am using belden 1505f, it is super reliable but very stiff. I want a heavy cable that can flex (neoprene coating?) and is a bit softer than the 1505f. At the moment our roaming camera man makes difficult knots in thw cable when filming. I am also looking for a heavy rubberised cat5 or 6 cable (our cameraman also needs a cat 6 cable with the HDSDI). I dont mind if it is expensive but something good for a roaming camera.

It would be great know what people are using.

Cheers

Fred
http://www.fredrodrigues.net/

bobzelin

Re: HDSDI Cables

PostSat May 04, 2013 4:28 pm

I thnk that there is only one answer for you. Wireless. Like a Teradek, that will allow you do to wireless hi quality transmission of HD-SDI signals. I believe it's about $3000.

Belden 1505F is about as flexible as you are going to get. Belden 1855 is too thin, and will get knotted up running across the floor back and fourth. Same with fibre. You can use the ATEM Camera converter, but thin 63 micrometer cable will get crushed and broken as it is dragged across a busy floor (and people step on it), and the tacticle version of this fibre cable will be the same thing as running the Belden coax. So a Teradek is your best answer in my opinion.

Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com

Dominic Irving

PostSat May 04, 2013 5:18 pm

Another option is microwave lick the Link XP units, you do have to pay a licence every time you use them (well you do in the uk) and they start at about £6,0000 so not cheap!! We usually hire them in. The range is amazing and there always rock solid. If you look at the Sat trucks that's what they mostly use.

Remember there is'nt much in it between CAT5e and 6, and technically is't only CAT if it's been done by a CAT6 installer. We have a 100m Reel of Cat5e with neoprene sleeve that we use from our Satelite broadband OB van, coiles very nicely and lays flat. At 100m it does need a powered switcher on the other end otherwise you don't get anything!!
Lots of Blackmagic kit in a twin Dish mobile KA-Sat Van for Broadcast and Internet lives

Mathijs

PostSun May 05, 2013 12:02 am

Google this for your cat5 question:

Belden Brilliance 1305A CatSnake Tactical Heavy Duty CAT5e Cable

The belden 1505flex is as good as you can get when it comes to flexible hd-sdi cable with good specs.
It will never be so flexible that you can twist it, because hi-quality sdi cable needs to maintain it's impedance.
Also when you unroll the cable, use a reel for long ends and unroll shorter ends like using a reel instead of letting it go while holding it in one hand while walking.
When you put the cable on the floor to be able to give more cable very fast, put it in a 8 shape so every rotation to the left side has one to the right next to it when the cameraman takes more cable.
Most of the time it's the handling that creates the problems you describe. A camera assistant that knows how to handle the cables is a must for a shoulder cam operator.

Raphaël Jacquot

PostSun May 05, 2013 4:14 am

best solution is teradek bolt

Return to Live Production