Ultimatte Chroma Key on Water

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Graham Spratt

Ultimatte Chroma Key on Water

PostSun Aug 26, 2018 4:20 pm

I'm trying to find out if the Ultimatte 11 or Ultimatte 12 is able to chroma key water on water, for example what I'm trying to do can be found here below, I've tried it with the ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K and the quality was awful it caused noise on other parts of the video, walls and floors etc and a visible colour shift.

I tried it using CasparCG and got a perfect result but this causes a delay which I couldn't use in a Live Production

Jack Fairley

Re: Ultimatte Chroma Key on Water

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 7:22 pm

The Ultimatte 11 chroma key is vastly superior to the built in ATEM chroma keyer. I've never tried it on a body of water, but you'll get a better result than you would without it.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Xtreemtec

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 8:55 pm

The chroma keyer in the Atem 4me mixer is also superiour to the other Atems. We did a test with this.

But the question is if this effect is even created with a chroma keyer..

I think it is just a GFX overlay with the flags on the right position.. And then just a Key Fill or Lumakey in the mixer. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Jack Fairley

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 9:19 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:The chroma keyer in the Atem 4me mixer is also superiour to the other Atems. We did a test with this.

I think it is just a GFX overlay with the flags on the right position.. And then just a Key Fill or Lumakey in the mixer. ;)

I agree, to me this looks like key + fill with a graphic made to match the lanes. If the graphic is moving with the camera, they may have mechanical encoding on a jib with data sent to a graphics engine.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Graham Spratt

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 6:02 am

Jack Fairley wrote:
Xtreemtec wrote:The chroma keyer in the Atem 4me mixer is also superiour to the other Atems. We did a test with this.

I agree, to me this looks like key + fill with a graphic made to match the lanes. If the graphic is moving with the camera, they may have mechanical encoding on a jib with data sent to a graphics engine.

You have a Key + Fill but if you don't Chroma Key to the water the graphics appear on top of the swimmer, the same is done in rowing and athletics.

You can also do it via an encoded head if you want the camera to be able to PTZ, but that's some what more complicated.

I can find out how much control you have with the hue on the Ultimatte like you do with the ATEM.

Return to Live Production