Hyperdeck Mini H264 Static Google Drive, YouTube & vimeo

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

David Chadd

Hyperdeck Mini H264 Static Google Drive, YouTube & vimeo

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 7:02 pm

When uploading an h264 file directly from the hyperdeck mini to Google drive the audio is nothing but static. In premiere as well as other video players the audio is correct. Is this a bug? I don't want to have to convert these files. . .
Last edited by David Chadd on Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

David Chadd

Re: Hyperdeck Studio Mini Static Google Drive

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 7:51 pm

Dave Del Vecchio

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 10:28 pm

If you download the file from Google Drive (rather than copying it from the SD card) and open the file in Premiere, is the audio still ok?

David Chadd

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 11:09 pm

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:If you download the file from Google Drive (rather than copying it from the SD card) and open the file in Premiere, is the audio still ok?

Yes it is.

I saw another post on here about it where a user was having the same issue with YouTube but there didn't seem to be a solution. Seems like google drive doesn't like the audio codec for some reason. Probably has to do with the preview they generate after you upload. Kind of defeats the purpose of having an h264 file for instant upload if you have to convert it to fix the audio.

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77397

David Chadd

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 11:14 pm

Does the exact same thing on vimeo and facebook... This is definitely an issue that needs to be fixed.

Xtreemtec

Re: Hyperdeck Mini H264 Static Google Drive, YouTube & vimeo

PostFri Aug 31, 2018 7:22 am

Is this a recording with only 2 audio channels enbled in the recorder? or all 16 channels?? Maybe the wrong tracks are used to put under the video.. Or some weird SUM function adds all empty tracks to it..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

David Chadd

PostFri Aug 31, 2018 7:32 am

Xtreemtec wrote:Is this a recording with only 2 audio channels enbled in the recorder? or all 16 channels?? Maybe the wrong tracks are used to put under the video.. Or some weird SUM function adds all empty tracks to it..

Yes it is set to only two channels and I tried both h264 low and medium for the codec. I tried 1080p60 and 1080p30 same issue. In fact premiere only sees the two tracks. Is anyone else able to reproduce the problem? It is happening on 2 different hyperdeck minis so it's not the unit.

The static issue appears on Vimeo, facebook, Google drive and youtube.

Jack Fairley

PostFri Aug 31, 2018 9:02 am

Plays fine in VLC, Windows Media Player, and the Windows 10 player. Does not play fine in MPC-BE. Importing the audio via ffmpeg library in Audacity shows horrible walls of noise, but it looks fine in Resolve. WTF???
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

David Chadd

PostFri Aug 31, 2018 6:31 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:Plays fine in VLC, Windows Media Player, and the Windows 10 player. Does not play fine in MPC-BE. Importing the audio via ffmpeg library in Audacity shows horrible walls of noise, but it looks fine in Resolve. WTF???

Did you record your own file or analyze the file i provided? I assume most of these CDN do their conversions with FFMPEG which doesn't like the audio codec that the hyperdeck mini is using.

Jack Fairley

PostFri Aug 31, 2018 7:53 pm

David Chadd wrote:Did you record your own file or analyze the file i provided? I assume most of these CDN do their conversions with FFMPEG which doesn't like the audio codec that the hyperdeck mini is using.

I used the one you provided. I would not be surprised if you're right.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Dave Del Vecchio

PostSat Sep 01, 2018 12:01 am

Looking at the file, it seems that the HyperDeck Mini is using 24-bit PCM audio (uncompressed) at 48kHz. While PCM audio is less common for H.264 files than AAC, I wouldn't think that alone would be causing these problems.

You could try exporting the video from Premiere, with the same audio settings 24-bit PCM at 48kHz and see if you can reproduce the problem in Google Drive or elsewhere.

One other note, is that the PCM audio uses the in24 audio codec ID, but the little endian byte order. At least according to this page, big endian is the default for in24:
https://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php/PC ... dentifiers

It's possible that the audio is being interpreted as big endian by the video players that have trouble with it. Or maybe it is actually big endian, but incorrectly flagged as little endian. In any case, reversing the byte order is sure to trash the audio. There was a bug report along these lines in FFMPEG a while back:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/1881

Xtreemtec

PostSat Sep 01, 2018 8:26 am

Nice find Dave.. This could be a legit reason for trashed audio.. ANd VLC and premiere seems to interper that in a good way or at least does a propper file handeling / fault recovery..
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Dave Del Vecchio

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 12:58 am

I think if you use the following arguments to ffmpeg to force the correct audio format, it may produce a file with audio that works correctly elsewhere. This command doesn't actually re-encode the video so it should be relatively fast (comparatively):
Code: Select all
ffmpeg -acodec pcm_s24le -i video-in.mp4 -acodec copy -vcodec copy video-out.mov

I'm still not entirely clear on whether ffmpeg or the HyperDeck Mini is at fault for the incorrect audio codec interpretation. Although I don't believe that PCM audio is technically supported in an MP4 container (which is why the output file has to be MOV in the above command).

jordangrogan

PostSun Sep 23, 2018 7:29 pm

Did that work? I'm having the same issue.

jordangrogan

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 1:45 am

A support rep told me that their engineers are aware of this issue & working on it!

David Chadd

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 12:02 am

I've just been converting mine through adobe media encoder and it fixes the audio. Hopefully they will release a fix soon.

LeonRet

PostTue Mar 26, 2019 9:25 am

jordangrogan wrote:A support rep told me that their engineers are aware of this issue & working on it!

So we are now in March 2019.....are they still working on it?

Phillip K2

PostTue Mar 26, 2019 6:16 pm

good question

Xtreemtec

PostWed Mar 27, 2019 12:30 pm

Wait till 7 April. There might be news when NAB starts. ;)

Brett Casadonte

PostWed Mar 27, 2019 1:41 pm

I'm very optimistic about big news on the broadcast front from BM at NAB... Hope I'm not disappointed... ha! :D There are lots of things that need to be fixed in the USRA Broadcast / Fiber chain, and no updates on ATEM in a number of months... I'm really looking forward to seeing what's new (though my pocketbook isn't!).
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Xtreemtec

PostWed Mar 27, 2019 7:36 pm

Brett Casadonte wrote:I'm very optimistic about big news on the broadcast front from BM at NAB... Hope I'm not disappointed... ha! :D There are lots of things that need to be fixed in the USRA Broadcast / Fiber chain, and no updates on ATEM in a number of months... I'm really looking forward to seeing what's new (though my pocketbook isn't!).

I'm also waiting for big news.. And one can only guess something is coming up.. But you never know right.. :lol:

I hope we will see a few good firmware fixes.. And hope to welcome a few new 12G products. Because i'm running in all kind of troubles with the 12G productions.. Things like Smartscope 12G, Microstudio 12G, 72x72 12G router, UpDownCross 12G would all be a welcome addition to the fleet. :mrgreen:
But i guess i'm running too much in front.. :lol: :lol: But i would need them all.. And some could be used on jobs within 3 weeks already.. Who knows.. :D

liquidcrystal

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 4:53 pm

Any word on an update to fix this issue, as it's still causing problems. It is defeating the point of being able to give the files straight to clients if they can't upload them without converting first.

Return to Live Production