JVC DT-X71F ProHD 7" HDMI to SDI conversion not compatable?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

B-Dubs

JVC DT-X71F ProHD 7" HDMI to SDI conversion not compatable?

PostMon May 06, 2013 8:06 pm

I'm building a remote cart or production flypack with a Blackmagic Atem 1-me switcher. We have server JVC GY-HM150U cameras and I thought a sure bet would be to by the JVC DT-X71F ProHD 7" monitor, which has the HDMI to SDI converter built into it. This way I wouldn't have to run 50 foot HDMI cables, but could use long BNC cables running the SDI signal. However, the Atem doesn't seem to support these monitors SDI output. Anyone know what the process is for getting these items added to the next firmware update? I would hate to have spent thousands of dollars on monitors that doesn't even work with our remote production flypack.
We got these monitors because they convert the HDMI (which is the only HD output the JVC HM150u's have) into SDI. They are both operating on the same frame rate and resolution, in fact, when I plug the HDMI from the camera into the ATEM it works fine. I'm not sure I would want to get 150' HDMI cables to make the connections and to tag on an additional converter would present another purchase and build up.
As another note I did plug the SDI output into the back of my Ikegami monitor and the signal looks perfect, it even ensured me that the frame rate and resolution (through the monitor display) was set properly.

I decided to test the SDI signal (which is being converted from HDMI from the camera through the monitor) through our blackmagic ultra studio pro thunderbolt (which is then lined into the Atem) and the signal works perfectly.

So to sum up:
HDMI <from camera into JVC monitor (which has a converter to SDI)>
SDI <from monitor into Ultra studio pro SDI input>
HDMI <from ultra studio into Atem>

Works perfectly...

SDI <direct from monitor> Doesn't pass signal
Should I look into longer HDMI runs or adding HDMI to SDI converters (hopefully battery powered) to solve this?

Xtreemtec

Re: JVC DT-X71F ProHD 7" HDMI to SDI conversion not compatab

PostTue May 07, 2013 3:56 pm

Ok first off.. You probably overpayed a lot. It is a JVC branded Swit monitor> Swit S-1071F ;)

The technical manual says>
HDMI converted to SDI output
Supported HDMI formats: 480i / 576i / 720p (50,
59.94, 60) / 1080i (50, 59.94, 60) / 1080P (23.98
24, 25, 29.97, 30), and the output SDI will embed
the audio (48KHz) from HDMI.

So it should work.... Theoretical..

What output resolution / framerate is your camera in? And your mixer settings? It seems that the monitor does a 25P > 50I conversion.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

B-Dubs

PostTue May 07, 2013 4:54 pm

I am running at 1080 59.94i and the switcher is the same. I toggled through the different setting to see if somehow it was another setting but that isn't the issue.
Thanks
B-W

Xtreemtec

PostWed May 08, 2013 11:55 am

Hmm Strange.. It should work as advertised. But probably somebody did not get up to specs. I guess it is the swit / jvc monitor. But i'm not sure. Sorry.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production