No Audio on Some Devices with FB Live

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

mwoolard

No Audio on Some Devices with FB Live

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 3:37 pm

I am using the BM UltraStudio Mini Recorder for Thunderbolt, with a Canon Vixia HF R800 Camera along with OBS Software and a Macbook Pro computer to Live stream on Facebook Live.

Video is good to all customers. Everyone can see our broadcast. However, some cannot hear, especially phones, (iPhones and Androids). Computers (Mac & PC) and iPads can hear audio fine. Phones can hear other FB Live Broadcasts from other sources, but not ours.

There have been a few phone customers who can hear audio, but most phones cannot it seems. They can hear a low faint grunting noise but it is unintelligible.

Any ideas. Thanks, Mark

Asgeir Hustad

Re: No Audio on Some Devices with FB Live

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 6:09 am

Phones generally have mono speakers only, no stereo. If you have phase issues with your sound, this won't be easily noticeable (by non-sound people, at least) in stereo while editing / mixing, but you will have problems when the tracks are summed to one, like for instance by a phone when streaming.

I'd get an audio consultant to take a look at your files, streaming and audio mixer setup, and see if ie. you need to activate phase shift on an input or turn a microphone around.

mwoolard

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 1:33 pm

Stereo is not necessary for our broadcast. It’s a church service. Would we need to broadcast in mono? If so, where is that setting? In BM mini recorder software, OBS or the computer, or maybe from the source which is a mixer board to the camera? Thanks

Peter Benson

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 3:36 pm

Asgeir Hustad wrote:Phones generally have mono speakers only, no stereo. If you have phase issues with your sound, this won't be easily noticeable (by non-sound people, at least) in stereo while editing / mixing, but you will have problems when the tracks are summed to one, like for instance by a phone when streaming.

I'd get an audio consultant to take a look at your files, streaming and audio mixer setup, and see if ie. you need to activate phase shift on an input or turn a microphone around.
Asgeir is absolutely correct --

Yet I would recommend that first, you search in your equipment connection scheme, for the possibility that you've got installed between 2 pieces of gear, [an] instance(s) of what you *thought* was a stereo-to-mono "Y" adaptor cable but which could *actually* be Y configuration "insert cable" connection(s) which internally is wired completely different from a possibly desirable Stereo-to-Mono Y adaptor cable.

Again, consult an audio engineer if necessary.

ResolveStudio 14.3...014 | MiniMonitor | DTV 10.9.7 | Win8.1 x64 | ROG G751JL, 2.8GHz Intel i7HQ, 24GB DDR4, 1TB HD, 500GB EVO 850, 2GB GTX965M | Mackie MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2 | more...
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Return to Live Production