How to send TV Studio HD Program feed to camera monitor

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

senseihive

How to send TV Studio HD Program feed to camera monitor

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 10:14 pm

Hey, I'm new to everything regarding switchers and etc so be gentle on me. I was wondering if i can somehow send my program feed to my crews external monitors so they can see what shot is on air? Is this doable on the TV Studio HD? I've seen it in large productions for an example a steadicam operator has two monitors one big one to see what hes doing, and a second smaller one bellow the big one showing what the switcher is outputting to the air.

Thankis

Denny Smith

Re: How to send TV Studio HD Program feed to camera monitor

PostFri Sep 07, 2018 5:09 am

Yes, that is what the camera program returns are for, they are SDI outs, so you would need SDI monitors or converts on each HDMI monitor. The four outputs are above,the four SDI inputs, and BM labels them “talkback PRGM SDI Outs”, but they are camera return feeds with the main program video and camera control CCU and talkback embedded in the program out signal. You can use them as program outs to a camera Monitor also.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

senseihive

PostFri Sep 07, 2018 8:56 am

Hey Denny thanks for the quick reply,I do have another question if you don't mind. How would i go on for it to be wireless? most of the time our cameras are spread out Which is fine because probably they wont be moving that much so a long sdi cable wired solution would work okay, but I would like our steadicam guy to be completely wireless as he is up to this point. We have a Wireless HDMI transmitter on his camera shooting a signal to the receiver plugged on the switcher, Would we be able to to the same thing for the pgm out? just this time a sdi transmitter and receiver? and if so do you know any that wont break the bank to much :p

Thanks again.

Denny Smith

PostSun Sep 09, 2018 10:25 pm

Should work, as long as it is a different frequency than the one yiu are already using. No, most of the ones I know of are Pro units costing more than $1K.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 2:00 pm

While wireless video return would work for video and audio, most systems would not protect the ancillary data from being compressed so quite possibly tally and camera control would not work with our cameras.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Xtreemtec

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 5:11 pm

Almost all wireless systems are based on WHDMI. Which do not have the ability to have Ancillary data as SDI does have..

This is the reason your SDI (converted to parallel LVDS in HDMI compatible format is broad spectrum ) is send trough the link..

But you loose all Anc data.. (all chipsets based on Aminon.. (Connex, Tilta, etc..) But also Teradek will kill your Anc data and intercom.. Only FHD video and 2 audio channels are send..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production