Red And Green Tally From ATEM

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

TJHCAMERA

Red And Green Tally From ATEM

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 4:33 am

Hi All

Looking to build some new racks and trying to work out the tally situation. It seems like tally's out of the ATEM switches only allow for red tally via the tally interface is this correct? It seems like a really big this to misses seems every other switcher out on the market offers this simple item

Thanks
T

Xtreemtec

Re: Red And Green Tally From ATEM

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 5:06 pm

Look at skaarhoj.. He has tally interfaces that do both.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 7:51 pm

There are some good 3rd party tally solutions. If you are a hobbyist like myself, the BMD Shield for Arduino could be customized for your needs.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

TJHCAMERA

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 10:56 pm

Thanks guys i really dont what to have to do much work as i would rather then just spend the extra and get a mixer that does what i need rather then try and make something that doesnt do what i want to do out of the box work. i guess this is more a question of three parts.

1) Do ATEM Switchers have the ability to product a green tally out of the box. I guess the follow up question would be are the tally assignable to different M/E or Aux as well?

2) I understand that there are third party tally interfaces thats fine my question is more can the black magic tally interfaces red and green out of the box from a ATEM

3) Im assuming that there will be stuff in the SDK that will deal with this that is fine but ive read alot of people having issues with triggering tallies via the SDK and a shield or what ever any success stroies

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 11:18 pm

Hello Travis. All ATEM switchers encode tallies, red and green in the SDI signal. Not proprietary but not commonly used by other vendors. The GPI tally box we have is quite old and was designed before the preview tally existed so it's not supported. Also you ask about separate ME tally. In a short answer, no. There is only one Program and Tally system in all of our switchers. If the ME is on the air, it will tally but not separately from on air. It's a common request we take note of. There are 3rd party solutions.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Xtreemtec

PostTue Sep 11, 2018 9:20 am

Remember it is not a Grass Valley or Sony mixer.. ;)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Thomas Seewald

PostTue Sep 11, 2018 9:38 am

If you want a out of the box solution, ask Skaarhoj. It is as out oft the box as the BM box, but supports red and green.

When you need more flexibility (e.g. tally for different ME, Aux) also ask Skaarhoj for an individual programming or ask one of your technicans, if the could build an Arduino-based DIY solution.

There are al lot people using Arduinos to connect ATEMs to tally solutions like Datavideo ITC-100 or the bulit-in sytems of camera RCUs.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Kingsley Foreman

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 4:39 am

The tally tool I wrote for the Pie, does green and red :)

https://visionswitcher.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2

Kingsley

Bakery

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 12:41 pm

I use a system called Cuebi, its a tiny device that allows for red/green light and is connected via wifi. I connected extra Datavideo TD-3 lights to it so they are better visible from larger distances.

Robert Betzner

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Bakery wrote:I use a system called Cuebi, its a tiny device that allows for red/green light and is connected via wifi. I connected extra Datavideo TD-3 lights to it so they are better visible from larger distances.

This system is a little bit dangerous for any production. From the manual:

The proprietary protocol that is used by the ATEM mixer requires low-latency and direct
responses from its clients.
While this is not an issue for a wired connection, for a wireless connection, there are
many factors that can disrupt the speed and stability of the network.
It is therefor important to make sure the wireless network is set up in the most optimal
condition.

If one of the Cuebi lights won't respond to a packet from the ATEM the whole LAN system of the ATEM breaks down and the switcher will lose any network connection. To reestablish you would have to power cycle the switcher. You won't be able to control the switcher in this state unless you power cycle.

The next thing to know is that each Cuebi light uses a steady connection to the ATEM. That means that if you use more than a couple of Cuebi lights the ATEM will run out of LAN connections. (Remember every ATEM software and every ATEM panel is a LAN connection to the switcher. And I think the newer ATEMs can run about 5-8 connection in parallel) If this ever happens the result will be the same as described above: Power cycling the switcher is the only option then.

So that system isn't really an option and can be very dangerous in any production if you lose packets over WIFI. And that will happen in most cases.

There is a reason why BMD warns anyone not to use the control software via WIFI.

Cheers

Robert

Xtreemtec

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 4:21 pm

Were do you use the tallies for? For cameras? Do you use Ursa's or a different brand?

uli peters

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 8:21 pm

Simple selfmade Wireless Tally Lights with direct ATEM connection over WiFi.
Own solid direct ATEM protocol connection (not based on the popular public code libraries with wrong low level protocol implementation). No server! :D

Xtreemtec

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 12:31 pm

Can't show you mine yet.. :lol: But will post a video this weekend.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

zonuna

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 11:37 am

uli peters wrote:Simple selfmade Wireless Tally Lights with direct ATEM connection over WiFi.
Own solid direct ATEM protocol connection (not based on the popular public code libraries with wrong low level protocol implementation). No server! :D

Looks nice, is it fore sale ? or any instructions on how to build one ?

ramonvandenheuvel

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 11:44 am

This might be of interest, a wireless DIY solution based on ESP32 microcontroller:

Return to Live Production