hypedeck shuttle hdmi to sdi vs battery converter

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

evilb66

hypedeck shuttle hdmi to sdi vs battery converter

PostWed May 08, 2013 3:46 am

So I was trying to use 2 hypedeck shuttles to extend hdmi.
Eg. Kramer 435 1080i50 Hdmi out, in to 1st HDS with sdi out, then 50 or so metres of sdi cable to the 2nd HDS sdi in, converting to hdmi out (into a projector)
anyway, the colour was wrong.
but when I swapped the 1st HDS for a bmd battery converter hdmi to sdi, it fixed the colour.
so why would a battery converter handle colour differently to a hyperdeck shuttle, when both advertise that they do the same thing.
and I tried swapping the 2 HDS around and it made no difference
the first part of my real name is Mr B. if that's not enough for bmd, please cancel my registration to this site. then i will re-register with a new email and fake name anyway.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: hypedeck shuttle hdmi to sdi vs battery converter

PostWed May 08, 2013 6:36 pm

Is the Kramer outputting RGB? The hyperdeck shuttles don't handle RGB to YUV conversion currently (something we'd like to add), whereas the converters will handle that conversion for you.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

evilb66

PostWed May 08, 2013 9:34 pm

@joshua,
thanks for the reply.
ok well I guess that explains it.
the problem is that as far as I can tell both products advertise that they convert from hdmi to sdi.
and for a prospective customer who read the sales brochure it would not be apparent that one was not as good as the other at performing the same task.
unfortunately I recommended the hyperdeck shuttles to a friend as 'bi-directional converters' because of sales info on the bmd site. Now I look like a fool, and feel obliged to loan my battery converter to him to fix his problem.

as for the colourspace conversion aspect. Yes please! If you could add it to the hyperdeck shuttle (and please please please to the TVS) I will possibly travel all the way from australia to buy you a beer.
If it is something that can be acheived with a software/firmware update, then I can't understand why it doesn't happen already.

anyway. Thanks again for the reply.
the first part of my real name is Mr B. if that's not enough for bmd, please cancel my registration to this site. then i will re-register with a new email and fake name anyway.

evilb66

PostThu May 09, 2013 5:47 am

the whole RGB/YUV colour thing is a bit ridiculous.

in response to the "is the kramer outputting RGB?" question, I have just gone to the Kramer website and downloaded the datasheet on the 435 scaler, and guess what...
it doesn't mention colourspace or RGB or YUV output.

So for a consumer how would anyone know what works. It is ridiculous to think that a consumer should have to buy anyones product with absolutely no idea whether it will work with one of BMD's products, even after doing as much research as they can.
and conversely, as a consumer it is impossible to buy a BMD product knowing whether it will work with their existing products.

As far as pointing the big fat finger of blame, I am not an expert on colourspace, nor do i have an electronics engineering PhD. I just want to connect devices together.
And so far I have found that Blackmagic products are very finnacky and fussy when dealing with HDMI with regard to colour.
And unfortunately everytime a BMD product messes up colour, the 3rd party product works perfectly until a BMD product is involved, such as connecting to any other HDMI device or monitor.
I am sure I am not the only one who has a whole bunch of converters in a box that don't work with BMD stuff.
And, then I have BMD products that don't work with each other.
And it's not like I can send them back as faulty, for a refund. Because the manufacturer will just demonstrate that they can make it work as long as it doesn't go near a BMD device.
So If a battery converter HDMI to SDI will handle RGB to YUV conversion correctly, and a Hyperdeck shuttle wont, then why is that not made clear before purchase.
If correct handling of both YUV and RGB colour is possible and necessary on some BMD devices, the WHY NOT ON ALL BMD DEVICES. Or a really really clear disclaimer on the products that don't handle it correctly so that people don't waste their hard earned $$ on products that don't work.

My Kramer 435 scaler works perfectly when plugged into an ATEM TVS. and a Battery converter.
Should i have had any expectation that it wouldn't work with a hyperdeck shuttle. How many other blackmagic products will it not work with. it seems that everytime I buy anything i need to consider that I might be throwing my money away on something that won't work.

The ATEMUSER website has a whole section devoted to 'compatible equipment'.
This seems to only be necessary because of these problems.

perhaps the company derived it's name (blackmagic) from a realisation that there was no documented scientific proof that any of it's products were compatible, and if not, why not.

evilb66

PostSun May 12, 2013 12:25 am

According to HDMI.org (and bached up by just about every article on hdmi spec on the web)
"all HDMI devices must support the sRGB colorspace"
& "RGB is the default colorspace (gamut)"
"all other colorspaces are optional"

So how is it that blackmagic HDMI devices don't support RGB colorspace?

Surely blackmagic devices which do not handle RGB colour are therefore not HDMI compliant.
If this is the case, doesn't that breach both HDMI specs (and the right to advertise and use the HDMI logo) as well as trade practices and consumer law provisions.

It seems to me that (under australian law) a customer would be entitled to a full refund on such a product, rather than simply a reply of 'sorry mate. tough luck'.

I will lodge a complaint with australia's ACCC (Aus competition and consumer commision) for "contrevening an industry code of practice" and see what they think.

Return to Live Production