HyperDeck Studio as recorder via RS422?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

kspickler

HyperDeck Studio as recorder via RS422?

PostTue Sep 11, 2018 8:20 pm

We have our HyperDeck connected via RS422 and can control it from another device for capture. What we'd like to do is have it act as a recorder, being controlled by another VTR, but haven't been able to get that to work. It seems to only act as a player via RS422. Is there a way to make the HyperDeck act as a recorder for RS422 captures?

Baz

Re: HyperDeck Studio as recorder via RS422?

PostTue Sep 11, 2018 11:21 pm

The RS422 control of the Hyperdeck is industry standard. If you send a record command to the deck on the RS422 the deck will enter the record mode.

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

kspickler

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 8:06 pm

With a little head scratching I recalled the front panel edit controls on a typical VTR function when the local system is the recorder and the remote system is the player. When the HyperDeck is connected to a Sony VTR, this works perfectly, using the HyperDeck as a player. The problem is I need the reverse: the VTR to be the player and the HyperDeck to be the recorder. Therefore I'd either need the HyperDeck to have functionality as the master for RS422, where the HyperDeck controls the VTR, or I'd need to have some sort of external edit controller.

Are there any apps that might allow the HyperDeck to operate in the master role as a recorder, controlling a VTR as the player?

Dave Del Vecchio

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 11:07 pm

The HyperDeck operates as an RS-422 slave device, and as far as I know, there is no way to make it operate as an RS-422 master device. The transmit and receive pin usage is different between master and slave devices.

If you are just trying to trigger recording on the HyperDeck, it is possible to do this via SDI start/stop signals or via timecode run.

If you need something beyond that, the HyperDecks do have an Ethernet control protocol. There are some apps that can control the HyperDecks using this protocol, although I'm not sure if they would be helpful for your usage.

Baz

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 11:34 pm

The Hyperdeck does not have editing capabilities and as such can not be a 'controller'.
To emulate 'editing' on a Hyperdeck you need to create a playlist of clips with selected in and out points.
Baz

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

kspickler

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 7:37 pm

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:If you are just trying to trigger recording on the HyperDeck, it is possible to do this via SDI start/stop signals or via timecode run.

The timecode run function might work. I'll need to look into that some more. I can't imagine Sony VTRs provide SDI start/stop signals.

I looked into using a JL Cooper controller but they appear to lack anything beyond basic transport controls. Something like a Sony RM-450 might be the only other way to make this work (assuming the RM-450 and HyperDeck play nice with each other.)

Alessandro Machi

PostWed Oct 04, 2023 7:44 am

Does Black Magic have a product that will work as the recorder in an RS 422 configuration?

Return to Live Production