I wish ATEM TV Studio Pro 4K SDI outputs were loops

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Ben Doyle

I wish ATEM TV Studio Pro 4K SDI outputs were loops

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 3:59 pm

I wish the ATEM TV Studio Pro 4K SDI outputs were loop outputs. Having 8 program outputs is of no use to me and I find it hard to believe it's useful for anyone else. I wish I could select EITHER program output or source input loop as the output source on those SDI's. This would save me having to bring along a ton of DA's to be able to record ISO's of each camera/input.

Anyone else agree? How do you all record ISO's of cameras/inputs while feeding the switcher?

rogersuski

Re: I wish ATEM TV Studio Pro 4K SDI outputs were loops

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 4:27 pm

You could employ a 20x or 40x router ahead of your switcher to enable additional routing capabilities.

You could utilize the Prod Studio or Broadcast Studio and the 6 AUX outputs for ISO recordings - and get embedded program audio for easy sync should there be a TC mismatch.

The prog outs on the switcher you're describing are designed to be used with BMD cameras for tally and control.

But a surface and a switcher of this caliber/quality/capability for under 3k -- nothin to scratch at.

Ben Doyle

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 3:18 pm

I know that $3000 is a steal for this Studio Pro 4K switcher, just like $2500 was a steal for the Studio Pro HD. But they improved it, made it 4K, added format converters on all the inputs, updated the audio features with fairlight, and kept it under $3000. So I bought one the day it was released.

I just wish they included the the option to loop out (whether via firmware or in a future model). Spending another $2000 on a router isn't really worth it since I'm using a series of external DA's that do the job for a little more than $50 each. I just wish I didn't have so many cables and possible points of failure. ;) I may end up just creating a custom DA rack (1080P).

andrewbourner

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 4:31 am

Here's to hoping there may be a firmware update to allow the user to select loop out or PGM out :)

Xtreemtec

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 11:44 am

Hardware limitation. Will only do PGM output as BMD had designed it. Was never intended to use for a loop out..

It is always designed with control and intercom over cable for 4 BMD SDI cameras. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production