Live videogame-competition

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Nicolay

Live videogame-competition

PostWed May 08, 2013 11:33 pm

Hi guys!

I'm fairly new to this, so bear with me :)

I'm planning a live-event on the web. The concept is two contestants playing a videogame each. My primary set-up was three cameras in SDI and two hdmi-feed from two computers showing the gameplay. All done in 720i50.

I have the ATEM Television studio, Hyperdeck Studio and a new macbook pro 13". I know the set-up works, but I need PiP (showing gameplay from a contestant and the contestant in a box in the up right-corner as a small overlay) and preferrably animated graphic (or at least some graphical overlay).

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks and sorry if this is already been covered earlier, I've tried to find similar posts here.

evilb66

Re: Live videogame-competition

PostThu May 09, 2013 3:35 am

unfortunately the TVS won't help you with PIP.
if you want a blackmagic product for that it'll need to be a 1ME or 2ME.
(or you could pick up an analogue vision mixer for peanuts these days that does PIP, but won't do SDI)

Also, it sounds like you want multiple PIP's, as you are going to want one for each contestant so I would have thought you might need more than one PIP capable mixer, or 1 with a macro that automatically swap PIP sources when you swap input sources.

but there are many people on this forum who know a lot more about such things than I do, so if you are patient you will probably get a more accurate answer from someone else.
the first part of my real name is Mr B. if that's not enough for bmd, please cancel my registration to this site. then i will re-register with a new email and fake name anyway.

Nicolay

PostThu May 09, 2013 10:15 am

Thanks for the tips, evilb66!

I've considered to just forget about the ATEM and just buy a PC with Decklink quad and wirecast. But the thing is, i need five sources. Three SDI and two HDMIs.

What if I rigged an PC (i7, 16GB RAM, SSD, Quadro 4000) with decklink quad and a ultrastudio usb 3.0. Would that be possible?

DidiKunz

PostThu May 09, 2013 12:33 pm

For help on this you can ask here http://casparcg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1438

Nicolay

PostThu May 09, 2013 1:27 pm

Thanks for link, didikunz. But that is more software-specific. I'm curious if anyone here in the BMD-forum has any tips for a rig (preferrably with wirecast, decklink quad or other similar stuff) that will solve the questions I asked earlier in this post.

Xtreemtec

PostThu May 09, 2013 1:58 pm

I wish you very much luck with 5 times 720 resolution stream on 1 PC.

The past has proven that 5 HD Inputs streams together will form a disaster. :?

It's to much processing for a computer. You want to input 5 HD's scale them to put them into 1 stream.. Stream it with wirecast. I think even the fastest machines won't be able to handle this. And all the hardware you need to build suchs a beast you could pay an atem 1 ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Nicolay

PostThu May 09, 2013 4:44 pm

Perhaps so, Xtreemtec. But I think its worth a shot anyways. I'd appreciate if you would rather answered if you have tried the above example (decklink quad and ultrastudio) instead of just being skeptic. I'm skeptic as well, but would love to try it anyway :) . Who knows, maybe it will work? But yeah, It'll probably be unstable it it's best..

If possible, the best thing would to be a dedicated machine for the streaming, and another machine for mixing together the feeds.

Xtreemtec

PostFri May 10, 2013 9:14 am

Well I advice you not to!! (That's a better answer ? )

I have a 1ME did streaming video with only 1 HD input and re-encode it to a smaller size to stream.
It was a Quadcore i7 3,2Ghz 12Gb Ram Decklink card. CPU run 60% with a lot of spikes up to 80 / 90 %. ====>>> 1 decklink input ;)

I also have a media server with 2 card build in. If I set both cards into hd the machine locks up. :?

So buy your machine. Buy your decklink products and I wish you much success!!
Also the USB 3.0 products of BMD have a lot of issues with HD. As HD (720P too) needs a data bus around the 5Gbps on USB 3. This gives a lot of headaches as a lot of motherboards and even more laptops are not able to deal with 5Gbps usb data streams..

Be sure your motherboard has a Renesas chipset onboard (as adviced by BMD) Or intel Extensive host controller (works in 50% of the cases.....)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production