Ursa Mini Fibre setup

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

frank.leggett

Ursa Mini Fibre setup

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi,

I am interested in investing in a Blackmagic Ursa Mini Broadcast. At present I hire in Sony HD Triax Cameras and use the Triax for Video, Talkback and Control.
However I can use singlemode fibre links instead.
Would it be possible to have a link back from the camera, control, talkback using 2 cores of a singlemode fibre link and a SDI to fibre mini converter which is bi-directional. I would plug the into the SDI out and SDI in on the camera.
I have heard that you can control the camera via an a Blackmagic SDI shield for arduino card.

My hope is that I can connect up a Black magic or SKAARHOJ RCP and send talkback for from my 4 wire Talkback unit.

I understand that I would have to power the camera locally or with a battery.

Is there any documentation how I could implement this?

Many thanks
Frank

pederdingo

Re: Ursa Mini Fibre setup

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 9:25 pm

This should be possible, but you have to have an ATEM switcher as well. The ATEM is what controls the whole system.
Getting the intercom to work is a little tricky though. It might be easiest for you to purchase the small rackmounted ATEM Television Studio HD and then use the build in headphone / mic jacks.

frank.leggett

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 6:53 am

As part of the upgrade I am getting a 20 x 20 Blackmagic SDI Matrix can that be used instead of a ATEM. At present I use a Tricaster Mini as the Production Mixer and I don't won't to buy another unit just to communicate with the camera.

pederdingo

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 7:09 am

You have to have an ATEM, but the unit I mentioned is quite small and inexpensive - it won't do UHD however

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 8:25 pm

Hello Frank. To be clear, the Blackmagic RCP or CCU Panel requires an ATEM switcher to perform camera control functions. The Skaarhoj RCP can do this on it's own without the ATEM. Talkback is completely different. To communicate with our cameras you would need a Talkback Converter or "talkback aware" ATEM to interconnect the cameras. Some of this depends on exactly what equipment you intend to use.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Knut Bussian

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 12:16 pm

Gary Adams wrote:To communicate with our cameras you would need a Talkback Converter or "talkback aware" ATEM to interconnect the cameras. Some of this depends on exactly what equipment you intend to use.

Or, if Blackmagicdesign would finally fix the talkback (when using the SUB-D connector on the back of a Studio / Camera Fiber Converter) via a software update, you could already be using a four-wire intercom from any manufacturer in conjunction with the Blackmagic Fiber Converters. Currently, the audio input is always send to the output, causing a feedback, whenever the producer / engineer pushes the talk button...

Return to Live Production