SDI Loop Outputs?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Joe Tortorelli

SDI Loop Outputs?

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 5:55 pm

I've never had a reason to use the SDI outputs that are parallel to the inputs. In other words, NOT the program, aux out, or mv. However, I recently had a situation that called for redundancy and I figured I could just loop out, however I found out quickly that is not the case.

After some research, I now understand the "how" and "why". But I have to ask, with the flexibility of the unit, would it be that hard to allow the option to switch the SDI outputs from a "return feed" to a "loop out"? I know there are modular devices that would allow this, but the connections are right there and I just assume it would be easier to have everything "all in one".

(On a ATEM TV Studio HD)

Asgeir Hustad

Re: SDI Loop Outputs?

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 6:12 am

If you actually wanted true redundancy, you couldn't use the loop out anyway, sooo...

I get that it would be useful in some situations, but I believe the outputs are generated with an internal distribution amp and hardwired on the board - ie. if you were able to change the outputs, you'd probably change all 4 of them at the same time.

And more AUXes (which this would basicly become) is an upsell-point, which means this probably won't happen.

If you really need this use case, my suggestion is to do it like the pro's and get a video router.

Joe Tortorelli

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 3:23 pm

True about the redundancy. I guess I could've phrased it differently. I just needed to loop out to a multi-viewer to create a picture-in-picture. I know the right way to do it, but it's never come up before and I doubt it will in the future. It would still be neat to be able to assign the outputs though! :)

Xtreemtec

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 11:24 am

Due too a technical limitation it is not possible to use those 4 outputs as loop outs. These outputs are always designed from a standpoint to do 4 channels camera control + intercom. And can not be fed anything else then PGM output. This is really a hardware limitation of the board setup inside. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production