ATEM Television Studio Questions

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

bradywurtz

ATEM Television Studio Questions

PostThu May 09, 2013 4:42 pm

Looking into buying the ATEM Television Studio, but i had a few questions that aren't addressed on the website, and i can't find a 'contact' email for blackmagic anywhere. So i figured i'd try asking the forums.

1) When, and if, i but the ATEM Television Studio, and i connect a camera via HD/SDI, will i be able to adjust my brightness, contrast, or color for each individual camera on the actual ATEM Television Studio?

2) We are thinking of doing sports games. Is there a way we can have one of the downstreams assigned to a camera input so that we can put a camera on a clock? And if so, would we be able to scale and crop that downstream?

Mike Squires

Re: ATEM Television Studio Questions

PostThu May 09, 2013 7:18 pm

1) No, that's what a CCU is for.

2) Yes, that's totally possible.

bradywurtz

PostThu May 09, 2013 8:48 pm

For adjusting the brightness and contrast and stuff, we never needed to use a RCU or CCU or any other device with our older Tricaster switcher. It's an old Standard Definition multicam switcher. It didn't adjust the brightness by adjusting the iris on the actual camera, all it did was adjust the feed coming into the switcher. But it was better than nothing. And that's kinda what i'm looking for.

So is it still a 'no' for that option?

Also, on the cropping, shrinking, and re-positioning one of the downstreams with a camera feed being fed into it; when you say "that's totally possible", do you mean that there's a chance you can do it? or that yes, 100% you can do it? Because these two things are very large factors for us on buying it so i want to make sure i'm 100% on this before i go out and buy it. So i just want to clarify if you mean that you think you can, or that you absolutely can do that?

Justin Strauber

PostThu May 09, 2013 10:14 pm

bradywurtz wrote:So is it still a 'no' for that option?

Correct. There is no individual input controls in that manner. It has to be done on the camera or via external hardware.

bradywurtz wrote: So i just want to clarify if you mean that you think you can, or that you absolutely can do that?

The TVS does not have a DVE channel like the 1M/E or 2M/E do. What you could do is have one of the cameras in the DSK with an alpha 'cut-out' loaded in the media pool. You'd have to have an alpha, basically a white square on black, exactly where you want the clock to show up. That would be in a TGA or JPG file that you'd load into one of the media players. Then you go into the DSK and set one of the cameras as the fill, and the media player as the key. At that point you can then line up the clock on that part of the screen so it shows through.

You aren't resizing the image at all, literally just cropping it down to that section.

Hakan Taube Lyxzen

PostThu May 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Regarding the key from the camera filming the score board, you can use the mask function instead of having a alphakey from the mediaplayer. If you use the upstreamkeyer you could maybe use a lumakey if the contrast on the scoreboard are high enough. However you can not scale the image with the TVS.
Hakan Taube Lyxzen
prostreaming.se

bradywurtz

PostFri May 10, 2013 3:50 pm

thanks guys! That sounds like you've done it before so i should be good with it then!

zonuna

PostSat Mar 30, 2019 11:44 am

bradywurtz wrote:For adjusting the brightness and contrast and stuff, we never needed to use a RCU or CCU or any other device with our older Tricaster switcher. It's an old Standard Definition multicam switcher. It didn't adjust the brightness by adjusting the iris on the actual camera, all it did was adjust the feed coming into the switcher. But it was better than nothing. And that's kinda what i'm looking for.

So is it still a 'no' for that option?

Also, on the cropping, shrinking, and re-positioning one of the downstreams with a camera feed being fed into it; when you say "that's totally possible", do you mean that there's a chance you can do it? or that yes, 100% you can do it? Because these two things are very large factors for us on buying it so i want to make sure i'm 100% on this before i go out and buy it. So i just want to clarify if you mean that you think you can, or that you absolutely can do that?

Question i am dying to find, Today I tested out my new ATEM 4 ME with a camera other then BM camera, to my surprised the ATEM cannot alter the Brightness (not saying the actual camera iris) or Contrast of the camera signal, I do not expect to control camera`s zoom, iris, shutter etc on other camera but at least, BM should put an option of a basic ProcAmp for brightness, contrast, chroma.
Like said before on Tricaster, no mater what camera input, you have a procAmp on all inputs

Xtreemtec

PostSat Mar 30, 2019 12:46 pm

Tricaster and Vmix do a Software based video altering. BMD does not do that in Hardware!

But what camera brand are you trying to connect.. There are other solutions out there these days.. But depends on what brand and model..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

zonuna

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 4:34 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Tricaster and Vmix do a Software based video altering. BMD does not do that in Hardware!

But what camera brand are you trying to connect.. There are other solutions out there these days.. But depends on what brand and model..

I am trying with Sony and Panasonic, I would be happy if there is a software ProcAmp solutions

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 6:01 pm

The ATEM does have CCU functions and camera control when you use BMD Studio Cameras or the Ursa Boradcast and Ursa Mini Pro Cameras, but not for non BMD Cameras.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Samwhales

PostSat Apr 06, 2019 7:40 pm

Hello all,

Please i need help, my church have the ATEM Studio HD mixer, i have been trying to figure out how to overlay text on video during live stream, can someone please help out, i have search all YoutTube but have been unable to get a tutorial on it.

I have feed from another system which has Easyworship through HDMI as an input into the ATEM Switcher and i have 2 cameras coming in. I will really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Return to Live Production