Hyperdeck Studio Mini issue and feature request

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Evan Vickers

Hyperdeck Studio Mini issue and feature request

PostMon Oct 01, 2018 10:56 pm

My Problem

As a medium sized church, we use the HyperDeck Studio mini as our master recording device for services. We purchased it before the h.264 update and I was very thrilled when that feature was announced as we archive in h.264 already. Since the update I have been using it almost flawlessly, that is, until last weekend and this weekend.

We normally record to a 64Gb SD card in slot one for our two morning services, and then slot 2 with it's 32Gb card is used to record our evening service. Last weekend (Sept 23rd) our evening service seemed to record just fine, but when dropped into Premiere I noticed the video file was corrupt. Part way through it just stops playing the video, though the audio seems fine until the file ends short of the full expected recording time. I am currently trying to test ways to repair the mp4 file but have not had luck. I follow what I know to be best practices with the media, by moving files off of the card instead of copying them then deleting the original files.

Thinking it was just an issue with the 32Gb card, I planned to just use the 64Gb card and re-use it for the evening service. We have volunteer video directors and one was on this last weekend (Sept 30th). After the morning services I went to dump the files off the card only to find the card empty. The director swore he had recorded the services and even recalled seeing the button lit up red. While talking with the volunteer director later that day he did say one of the lights on the mini might have been flashing.

Doing a deep file recovery scan of the card only found recordings from the previous 2 weekends. And nothing was overwritten at all. I formatted the card in the usual file system (exFAT) and recorded the service that evening with no problems. As a backup I also recorded to an old BMD Video Assist we had in another department.

I'm currently running test recordings on the same cards formatted HFS+ (with Paragon on my PC to make transfer flawless). I have also ordered new cards.

So that is my issue. Everything seemed fine prior to the services besides the error on another card the week before.

My Feature Request:

Allow the device to record an error log file if something does not go right. This would allow us to track down the issue.

Also, could there be some kind of feedback on the main screen that there is an error? The flashing LED doesn't stand out enough for most people to take as anything other than normal operation.

Thank you for your time and any input you can give. :-)

Evan Vickers

Re: Hyperdeck Studio Mini issue and feature request

PostMon Aug 12, 2019 9:35 pm

Update: Since switching to HFS+ we have had ZERO issues with recording.

Frank Engel

Re: Hyperdeck Studio Mini issue and feature request

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 11:01 am

Evan Vickers wrote:I follow what I know to be best practices with the media, by moving files off of the card instead of copying them then deleting the original files.

There are really only two benefits from this:

• Moving the file maintains timestamps, such as the modification time, on the file.
  • If moving within the same disk the OS can use some optimizations that in effect simply move the directory entry without needing to copy all of the data.

When moving from one volume to another (memory card to hard drive/SSD for example), the only benefit is maintaining the timestamps on the file.

The downside to doing this move instead of copy/delete is that if you had copied it instead the card would continue to be a backup of the data until you had made another one. Internally, moving the file between devices is exactly the same as copying then deleting the original (except that the OS places different timestamps on the resulting file at the destination).

If you value the integrity of the timestamps more than the integrity of the data (and retaining the backup copy until you can make another one), then by all means continue to work this way. I personally would not do this with anything of value. Moving within a volume, sure... but between volumes with something of importance that you haven't had a chance to back up yet?

Return to Live Production