Simultaneous 1080p60 SDI capture

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

DanS98

Simultaneous 1080p60 SDI capture

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 11:12 pm

Hi,

What product would be best for capturing 2 1080p60 SDI inputs simultaneously. I heard that some products claim they can achieve this but they can't in practice. Alternatively can you recommend something that can do 1080p30, in case the other item is too expensive.

Something that can also capture HDMI would be a big bonus, but as far as I know, 2 3G-sdi input capture concurrent with 1 HDMI input capture isn't possible on one device.

Thanks,
Dan

Craig Marshall

Re: Simultaneous 1080p60 SDI capture

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 12:15 am

Our Decklink SDI 4K Pro PCIe card will capture 4K at 60P as it supports 12G speed so could be configured for your application.
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

roger.suski

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 12:38 am

Do you want a hardware or software based solution? Do you want a lossless codec, or h264/265?

If software, sure you could use any number of interface cards (the DL Quad) and combine that with ToolsOnAir Just:In Multi -- capture all 4 to any flavor you like. Softron also has MovieRecorder. vMix and Wirecast will capture 4 streams and do ISO recording. Beefy machines needed in any of these scenarios.

Hardware devices, COnvergent Design makes a 4ch device that records ISO, switches, AND makes a multiview. Extron makes the SMP 351 that will record any 2 sources to .mp4 and also make a 2up composite and spit out to a stream. Datavideo makes a new unit that will stream/record up to 4 sources.

Define your workflow and your pocketbook then you can narrow down.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 12:45 am

Hello Daniel. From Blackmagic, only the Decklink Duo or Decklink Quad will capture 2 or more 1080p60 signals at the same time. No HDMI so you would need to use a converter.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

DanS98

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 1:20 am

Craig Marshall wrote:Our Decklink SDI 4K Pro PCIe card will capture 4K at 60P as it supports 12G speed so could be configured for your application.

Does the fact it can capture 4k60 imply that it can capture 2 1080p60 sources? I'm new to this so any advice is appreciated.

roger.suski wrote:Do you want a hardware or software based solution? Do you want a lossless codec, or h264/265?

If software, sure you could use any number of interface cards (the DL Quad) and combine that with ToolsOnAir Just:In Multi -- capture all 4 to any flavor you like. Softron also has MovieRecorder. vMix and Wirecast will capture 4 streams and do ISO recording. Beefy machines needed in any of these scenarios.

Hardware devices, COnvergent Design makes a 4ch device that records ISO, switches, AND makes a multiview. Extron makes the SMP 351 that will record any 2 sources to .mp4 and also make a 2up composite and spit out to a stream. Datavideo makes a new unit that will stream/record up to 4 sources.

Define your workflow and your pocketbook then you can narrow down.

I'm going to be honest Roger, I don't understand the majority of the words you've used here :lol:. I'm very new to live production. Essentially I have 2 1080p60 cameras with SDI output, and one PC input via HDMI that I all want to capture on a single PC and mix them with OBS as cost effectively as possible. I'm open to any methods I can look at to achieve this. As a side note this is for an esports stream.

Gary Adams wrote:Hello Daniel. From Blackmagic, only the Decklink Duo or Decklink Quad will capture 2 or more 1080p60 signals at the same time. No HDMI so you would need to use a converter.

Regards, Gary

Thanks for clarifying that Gary! Am I right in thinking the Decklink Duo 2 could capture up to 4 1080p60 sources, meaning I could use that in combination with a converter?

Dave Del Vecchio

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 11:13 pm

Does the fact the Decklink 4K Pro can capture 4k60 imply that it can capture 2 1080p60 sources? I'm new to this so any advice is appreciated.
No, the DeckLink 4K Pro only has a single video input channel. It has 2 SDI input connectors to support dual link SDI (where a single video signal is split over two SDI cables), but this is still just a single video input.

As Gary mentioned, the only cards that currently support multiple independent video input signals are the DeckLink Duo 2 and DeckLink Quad 2 cards.

Am I right in thinking the Decklink Duo 2 could capture up to 4 1080p60 sources, meaning I could use that in combination with a converter?
Yes, each port on the DeckLink Duo 2 is separately configurable as either an input or an output (via the Desktop Video utility software). So you could configure the card for 4 inputs, or 4 outputs, or 2 inputs and 2 outputs, depending on your needs.

Return to Live Production