ATEM-1ME for live streaming and webinars

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Don Goldstein

ATEM-1ME for live streaming and webinars

PostMon May 13, 2013 1:09 am

I'm relatively new to video having been an audio guy for many years. I'm trying to put together a small (size and budget) system that will utilise 4 HDMI cameras and a PC running Powerpoint. I plan on numerous HDMI/SDI converters for the cameras that are more than 10metres away from the ATEM. Downstream of the switcher I want to record and stream live our seminars using perhaps the Matrox Monarch when it comes out on Livestream or Ustream. I have also been looking at the Livestream Broadcaster as an option as well. I believe I need to record H.264 to upload immediately after the seminar to be able to put up on our website for those that could attend or view realtime. I will control the ATEM 1M/E and also capture the video (not H.264) into my 2.6 Ghz MB Pro i7 and onto a Thunderbolt SSD drive not yet purchased. The camcorders will also be recording in case I want to do any editing in Post (using Premier CS6).

Now for some of my difficult questions that require advice:

I want to be able to have a PIP with the Powerpoint from the PC being full screen and one of the cameras that is locked on the presenter in one of the upper corners. I could then switch between the 4 cameras, the PC and the PIP look. I believe it will always be the same camera in the PIP.

There is another application that I want to use the same ATEM for and that is for our live webinars. Hopefully I can have 3 cameras displayed as PIP and still be able to switch between the sources, PC and PIP. I'm not sure if the 1M/E can do this or if I will need to go with the 2M/E to accomplish this.

Finally, and this seems the difficult one, the platform we deliver our webinars on is GoToWebinar which needs to see my source as a webcam emulation. We are using this platform because of the user interaction and analytics we can gain from it otherwise we could stream them similarly to our seminars. I can't find anything other than Telestream Wirecast to accomplish this. Is there a hardware device out there that will do this?

I hope I can elicit some advice from the forum and also hopefully help anyone else with the webcam emulation challenge.

Thanks everyone.

Daniel Knoche

Re: ATEM-1ME for live streaming and webinars

PostMon May 13, 2013 5:14 am

From what I understand, if you key, you can do PIP in the 1 M/E. (page 91 of manual)Anything more than 2 sources and you need the 2 M/E. Page 104 of manual; 2 M/E definitely gives you more flexibility. For the minimal cost difference, if you can afford the 2 M/E...

Not sure about the livestream question

Are you planning to capture to your internal HD and TB drive simultaneously? Or just through your Mac to the SSD? You would need a capture device to go between the ATEM out and the mac for capture (Ultrastudio Express or mini recorder)

If you need an instant H.264 file, one option is the H.264 recorder.

Assume the PC for powerpoint is different to your mac? How are you getting it into the ATEM? Maybe think DVI extender, that way can go SDI in to the ATEM, you can then use an aux out to go to an HDLink Pro and into a projector (either via DVI or HDMI). Just remember the PC must be outputting the same resolution and frame rate as your cameras.

Hope this helps
Daniel

Chad

PostMon May 13, 2013 9:20 pm

The 1ME can only do 1 PIP window at a time. The 2 ME *can* do up to 4 using the SuperSource feature which appears as just another input source and doesn't use your upstream keyers. That means you could switch between your individual cameras, pc, and the multibox view just by selecting that source button.

As for GoToWebinar, we use the 1,000 attendee version which doesn't support video (yet?) but have used the video function in GoToMeeting. The only caveat with HDFaces for us is that it only seems to support 720p50 and not 720p60/59.94 or 1080i anything (we are in the US). I ended up buying a Teranex to do the conversion for me and it works.

Don Goldstein

PostTue May 14, 2013 12:13 am

@ Daniel, If I understand correctly using the PIP on ATEM-1 would mean I need to frame the shot to fit in the key as there is no way to rescale the image. I think to use that I would need something to rescale using the Aux out. As for recording I would use a TB SSD drive and not the internal drive which is pretty full with apps that I regularly depend on and certain graphic and video files I need to always have available. Powerpoint into this system is coming off a PC laptop via a USB/HDMI converter I picked up from a local office supply store by chance. The HDMI would then go into a HDMI/SDI converter unless I can get the PC close enough to the ATEM to not need the converter. The VGA out of this PC feeds a VGA DA that goes to 2x projectors and a monitor for the presenter.

@ Chad, I think the ATEM-2 is certainly the right device to do what I'm trying although my budget keeps going up up up with each iteration. Are you playing back any video with GTW? I haven't had any luck playing back any video embedded in a Powerpoint presentation and have also had to remove most animations and simplify all transitions. My internet speed isn't great down here.

Thanks to both of you for replying!

Mathew Brennan

PostTue May 14, 2013 5:41 am

you can rescale if you assign the dve to the key

Chad

PostTue May 14, 2013 7:39 pm

GoTo's desktop / application sharing only does maybe 5 frames a second, not enough for full motion video. Normally we just do powerpoint as a desktop share and camera/video playback via HDFaces.

Don Goldstein

PostWed May 15, 2013 12:36 am

@ tvhack - I just found that out late yesterday and will be getting a demo of the ATEM-1 tomorrow showing me that. I'm optimistic that it will eliminate that problem from my list. Thanks.

@ Chad - From what I have read on the Linkedin Webcasting & Webinar Professionals group forum, HDFaces for GoToMeeting does not work on GoToWebinar. Perhaps that is a function that will arrive in the next update from Citrix. As it stands the playback on GoToWebinar is next to useless from the desktop. I'm hoping by using something like Wirecaster the webcam emulation might allow me to bring the video in that way. Thanks

Nathan Loudon

PostWed May 15, 2013 7:30 am

Hi, for what it's worth, I have successfully set up a live stream from the ATEM's USB3 port to a PC running Flash Media Live Encoder, and then to Amazon Web Services Cloudfront CDN. It's definitely a cheap option, but setting it up is a massive pain in the ----, and as far as I'm aware there are no analytics.

Chad

PostWed May 15, 2013 11:23 pm

HDFaces only works in the 100 person and below plan for GoToWebinar. For the 500 and 1,000 user plan it is still in beta, but there's a beta sign up form on the GoToWebinar website.

Return to Live Production