Cut between Chroma Key and other source

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

bobbytee

Cut between Chroma Key and other source

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 3:59 pm

We are just getting started using the ATEM Television Studio for a school news type live broadcast. Have been able to set up a nice chroma key (student at desk keyed over background) using upstream keyer, but now we want to cut backl and forth between that and a different source, either another camera or b-roll, with no chroma key.

Seems this should be simple, so I assume I am missing something. Any tips?

Thanks!

Kevin Copeland

Re: Cut between Chroma Key and other source

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 8:32 pm

Bob, this can be confusing at first. The manual explains it a little bit but actually pushing the buttons helps see it through. (Page 84, see 'Next Transition' section.)

With the ATEM Sofware Control, the Upstream keyers will transition on and off using the 'CUT' or 'AUTO' buttons (hence the 'Next Transition' section where the key buttons are.)

Let's say Input 1 is a person on camera, or a playback deck. Make that live on the Program bus.

Let's say Camera 2 is your chroma key person. In the Palettes under Upstream Key 1, choose the Chroma tab, select Camera 2 as the Fill Source and adjust your key settings.

On the Preview bus, select the input you want as the 'background' for the chroma key, such as a still loaded in Media Player 1. You will see this on the Preview.

Now go to the 'Next Transition' section and select 'KEY 1'. You will now see your Chroma Key person on top of the background from Media Player 1.

Now if you press 'CUT' or 'AUTO', the switcher will transition to exactly what you see on the Preview. You will also notice that the 'ON AIR' switch above 'KEY 1' is red, meaning the key is on. Now you can cut back and forth.

Now transition back to Input 1. Let's turn off the 'BKGD' button in the 'Next Transition' section. You will see that KEY 1 is now keying on top of Input 1, not the Background from the Preview bus. Now if you press 'CUT' or 'AUTO', it will bring your key on top of Input 1.

You can also have other keyers coming on at the same time. Let's say Upstream Key 2 has a Lower Third loaded. Then with 'KEY 1' and 'KEY 2' buttons selected, both keyers will come on when you press 'CUT' or 'AUTO'.
(If using the Television Studio HD, you only have 1 Upstream keyer. But you can have a Downstream keyer come on at the same time by pressing the 'Tie' button.)

To make this easier, you can program Macro buttons to set up your keyers for you in one fail swoop.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need further clarification.

bobbytee

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 7:24 pm

Great info, thanks!

Next level would be to switch directly from one chroma key scene to another. That is, Person 1 keyed over Bkgd 1, cutting (or other transition) directly to Person 2 keyed over Bkgd 2. I'm assuming that would require a macro?

Thanks again.

Jack Fairley

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 9:06 pm

bobbytee wrote:Great info, thanks!

Next level would be to switch directly from one chroma key scene to another. That is, Person 1 keyed over Bkgd 1, cutting (or other transition) directly to Person 2 keyed over Bkgd 2. I'm assuming that would require a macro?

Thanks again.

It's possible to do it manually, but please preserve your sanity by using a macro.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

bobbytee

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 7:41 pm

I'm all for preserving my sanity! ;)

Just to confirm, though, it is possible to cut from one chroma key scene to another, even though there is only one upstream keyer? Logic tells me that won't work, as each chroma key is an upstream key. But if doing it by creating a macro for each is possible, I'm all in!

Thanks!

Kevin Copeland

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 10:17 pm

Not with that model. You would have to use a macro.

bobbytee

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 9:57 pm

Thanks. I've been experimenting and created a couple of macros that help get me close. Best method seems to be to go from CK1 to a transition slide while using a macro to change the CK background in preview, then go back to the CK2 in program. Same thing to go back to the original CK.

Return to Live Production