UltraStudio 4K compared to ATEM Production Studio 4K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

jamesbcreighton

UltraStudio 4K compared to ATEM Production Studio 4K

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 8:54 pm

Hello Forum Members:

My first post was on Wed. 9/12/2018. I'm just getting started in this area. I'm not a Broadcast Engineer. Rather, I'm an attorney and law school professor who has built a video studio in my home. I plan to record (and, eventually, live stream) webinars to my students and other target audiences on subjects in my specialty. I don't plan to shoot video anywhere else but in my studio.

I have the ATEM Production Studio 4K and the UltraStudio 4K. I was advised by a video production/sales engineer at DVE Store in Washington state of the advantage of having both of these items for ease with live streaming--something I hope to do in the future but not now. I just want to record video, which I will then edit using Adobe Premiere Pro CC, which I and my assistant have both taken the time to learn in depth.

I'd be very appreciative if any of you would take a moment and inform this newbie of the differences between, and advantages of, these two products. Do I need both? How would I use them together?

Thank you, in advance, for the gifts of your time, assistance, and expertise. I am very appreciative.

Jay
Jay Creighton

Jack Fairley

Re: UltraStudio 4K compared to ATEM Production Studio 4K

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 9:32 pm

In simplest terms, the ATEM is for switching between different video sources without interruption, live. The UltraStudio 4K is a capture device, which lets you access a live video signal on a computer. You can connect your cameras to the ATEM, and the output of the ATEM to the UltraStudio, which will let you record and/or broadcast the video while somebody is switching between cameras.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

jamesbcreighton

Re: UltraStudio 4K compared to ATEM Production Studio 4K

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 10:36 pm

Thank you, Jack; I am very appreciative. I hope you have a great rest of the week.
Jay
Jay Creighton

Return to Live Production