Phone to ATEM

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

damdam

Phone to ATEM

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 4:15 pm

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of connecting my phone to the ATEM. I don't know how possible this is..Anyone with ideas?

Ian Morrish

Re: Phone to ATEM

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 5:31 pm

Most phones have a pc or mac desktop program to mirror the phone display. Search google for how to do this for your phone.
Then just connect your pc to the atem as usual.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Platon Kavvadias

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 7:28 am

What mobile ?
If it's an iphone, use an Apple TV to mirror the screen.

damdam

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 9:36 am

Thanks so much. I'll try this?

Andrew Martin

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 7:50 pm

Airserver.com

Running on a laptop or PC recieves connection from all phones regardless of os. Android iOS windows.
Been using it for yrs.

Kevin Matutu

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 2:39 pm

Hey all,

I ended up coming here to ask the same question... this is my thought process, please advise if this will work:

1. Film using iPhone that is connected to a Lightning-To-HDMI adapter
2. This adapter is connected to a HDMI wireless transmitter (and receiver)
3. The HDMI wireless receiver is connected to the ATEM via HDMI in

So that would mean that in the HDMI inputs, you could have X stationery cameras, and one roaming camera (with lavelier mic for better sound)

rduri14

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 8:00 pm

If you have an android device download this...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... l&hl=en_US

Just gotta be on the same LAN as ATEM and boom.

eventpix

PostFri Jul 10, 2020 8:28 am

Another scenario.
I'm live streaming a wedding. Have a couple of cameras setup plus setup a GoPro behind the couple and want to send the signal to the ATEM Mini wirelessly
So... connect to the GoPro via the app on my phone
use a USB C to HDMI cable to input from the phone to the ATEM
Anyone tried this?
Any reason why it wouldn'y work?

But I need to power the phone as well - so use a USB C to multi device with USB and HDMI ports and USB power passthrough
Something like this https://www.amazon.com.au/Trianium-Pass ... B074DRW84M

rpiboy

PostMon Jul 13, 2020 1:24 am

I've been using my iPhone (8?) with a Clean Camera app and a lighting to HDMI adapter into a MiniPro. I would say that it is currently "getting me by". At any sort of zoom and the iPhone gets pretty grainy. Also, today I noted that we have a pretty major video delay between the iPhone and our other camera (GoPro 7). I know people tend to have a host of issues with GoPros but in this case I suspect the iPhone as the culprit as I've read that its the lightning adapter that is actually generating the HDMI signal from the data streaming out of the phone. I would think that adding wireless to the phone feed would only make things worse, but maybe airplay through an AppleTV would introduce less latency?

Only noticed the delay today as we had to do much more camera switching as the guest pastor liked to "wander" and our regular pastor is pretty happy to stick to the pulpit.

In full transparency I have the GoPro on an HDMI Cat6 extender, but again, I think my latency is coming from the Phone. Also fun to note, I tried to run the phone over the Cat6 extender and the ATEM was not having it... I'm sure its something to do with HDMI standards and what not. I don't remember this being this complicated 20 years ago doing community cable TV in my highschool.... :-)
- Robert Manna
Accidental Streaming Production Manager and general AV geek

fr4nkle

PostWed Jul 15, 2020 1:50 pm

Just tried the NDI|HX Camera App (free, and the cleanest screen feed I could find) with Screen Mirror to my ATV 4K (1080/50 setting, Australia, lol) into the ATEM Mini Pro ... worked great with both on my home WiFi network (Ubiquiti AP AC LR).

Probably worth buying the Clean Camera app for AU$2.99 ... rather than looking at the Magewell NDI to HDMI converter ... and maybe an older ATV to throw into the bag.

Andrew Martin

PostThu Jul 16, 2020 8:10 am

Apple TV box + sienna NDI app make for a cheap NDI to HDMI solution.
In your particular instance you could prob. loose the need for the NDI app. instead using screen share, but latency might then be an issue.

In times passed we used Airserver running on a pc (airserver connect) which mirrored any phone screen regardless of OS.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

neilpercy

PostThu Jul 16, 2020 12:30 pm

There is a free app for iPhones called "Full Screen camera" (by David Moody).

It gives a clean video feed out via HDMI with appropriate cable (sometimes the time is shown at the top of the screen in Vertical video, completely clean in Landscape video. There is a toggle for 'Full Screen' or 'Safe Area' which seems to affect his behavior).

The app works well but works completely on 'Auto' for expose and white balance etc., no manual controls, but is ok in most situations. There is a toggle for 'Manual Focus' but it is a little clunky to use - it's a slider, not the usual 'touch-to-focus'.

Alternatively, instead of an Apple TV/SiennaNDI a free solution to get the phone output to an Atem Mini would be to use the excellent NDI|HX app from Newtek and use Newtek NDI tools packacke on a Laptop/PC to monitor the output using Newtek Studio Monitor programme. (I have no affiliation to Newtek, just been using there tool-set extensively during lockdown). Send the output of Studio Monitor into the Atem via HDMI.

NDI|HX on iPhone --> Studio Monitor over LAN to receive video --> Studio Monitor in full screen on the 'second' screen which is the Atem Mini when its's plugged into your Laptop/PC --> HDMI out into Atem.

Works with very little added latency. NDI|HX over LAN(wifi) adds tiny latency, Atem adds a fraction more, but very low in total.(Tested on inputs 1&2)

(Studio Monitor took a couple of restarts to fully recognize the 'second'(ATEM) screen and offer the option in its menu).

Linden deCarmo

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 5:24 pm

fr4nkle wrote:Just tried the NDI|HX Camera App (free, and the cleanest screen feed I could find)

I'm looking for a free NDI Camera app to experiment with. Looks like the NDI|HX Camera App was free for a few months but is back to its original price. Anyone aware of another alternatives for a free NDI camera app?

scottca

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 2:45 pm

No software needed, this lightening > hdmi cable from Apple will let you direct connect to the ATEM mini (and Pro). https://amzn.to/3fAGJzZ
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 10.43.41 AM.png
Apple Lightening Cable
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 10.43.41 AM.png (125.94 KiB) Viewed 7226 times

rpiboy

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 3:54 pm

scottca wrote:No software needed, this lightening > hdmi cable from Apple will let you direct connect to the ATEM mini (and Pro). https://amzn.to/3fAGJzZ

Even with the adapter you need a method to output a clean signal from the iPhone camera. The OOTB Camera App has a bunch of screen info that will go out on the HDMI signal. As far as I know all of the "clean Camera" apps have a cost, some cheaper then others. Also, I've found that there are some app screen notifications that do not get blocked even if you've put the phone on silent and manually enabled DnD mode in Settings. If anyone knows how to block those notifications I'd be interested in thoughts/suggestions.

I think (can't recollect for sure) that there is no audio output from the iPhone too.

-R
- Robert Manna
Accidental Streaming Production Manager and general AV geek

Return to Live Production