About to purchase studio for the first time. HELP!

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Samuel_VTHC

About to purchase studio for the first time. HELP!

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 12:48 am

Hi everyone,

I'm about to purchase a bunch of studio gear for my place of work, with the goal of creating a space where we can broadcast really professional looking Facebook live streams.

At the moment we're looking at picking up the following video gear:

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K x 2
Mini XLR Adapter Cables
LED light panel x 2
Intensity Shuttle x 2
Rode NTG-1 Shutgun mic x 2
Manfrotto 290 Light Aluminium Tripod x 2
Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm f/2.8 MkII x 2
SanDisk Extreme 256GB SD card x 2
Blackmagic Pocket Camera DC Cable Pack x 2

Will this gear allow us to plug the cameras into a PC through the two intensity shuttles, and then use the footage in Wirecast to produce a live broadcast? I'm just looking to put my mind at ease a little bit before we hit the trigger and purchase a bunch of expensive gear.

Thanks so much, team, any advice is really helpful.
Sam

Andrew Martin

Re: About to purchase studio for the first time. HELP!

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 7:50 pm

I don't think you can. The new pocket cinema isn't designed to be used as a live capture camera read somewhere recently that its hdmi isn't a clean feed ?? and anyways you want an SDI output so you can position the cameras futhur than a few mtrs. Also forget the shuttle (unless it's a thunderbolt vers.) The usb shuttle is completely useless today. The driver isn't supported with modern windows OS. They were designed to run with a usb chipset that hasn't been supported for abt 4yrs now. Also they top out at 60i, unless of course that's ok with ur intended projects resolution needs.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 11:43 pm

The Pocket Cinema Camera 4K can output a clean video signal over HDMI (there is an option for turning the overlays off in the menus), but the resolution on the HDMI output is limited to 1080p.

Also keep in mind that these cameras are backordered almost everywhere right now, so if you need to use this equipment for shooting in the next few weeks, you're probably going to have trouble finding 2 of them to purchase.

Samuel_VTHC

PostFri Oct 26, 2018 4:41 am

Hi y'all,

Thanks for those replies.

It sounds like the pocket cinema 4k camera might not be the go, especially considering that the image coming directly out of the camera might look so flat. With that in mind, what alternatives do you think might work well for this purpose?

Dave Del Vecchio

PostSat Oct 27, 2018 12:16 am

It depends on what you are shooting, but I would tend to lean toward camcorders rather than DSLRs. These will usually have a larger zoom range and a servo zoom lens allowing for live zooms. More professionally oriented camcorders will also have full sized XLR inputs and SDI outputs.

You might checkout something like the Sony PXW-X70 or its updated version Sony PXW-Z90V.

Blackmagic also has the Micro Studio Camera, which is geared more toward live production than the Cinema cameras. You will need to add lenses and a screen.

Return to Live Production