No SDI output on BiDirectional micro converter

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

eMilty

No SDI output on BiDirectional micro converter

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 10:27 pm

I'm having a problem with a Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI when converting HDMI to SDI. I'm feeding in a computer HDMI signal into the HDMI IN and sending that over an SDI cable to a BM Mini Recorder which is connected over firewire to a Mac. This all works when everything is first connected and powered up.

However, when the HDMI is disconnected and e.g. connected to another laptop it doesn't send out a signal over the SDI connection anymore (at least, that's what I assume). The LED status indicator next to the HDMI IN lights up normally as if there is a signal. Also, the HDMI OUT loopback works just fine as I can see and use that signal as normal. So it does seem to get a correct input signal that it can send out to the HDMI OUT. But I don't get any signal on the other end of the SDI cable. Unplugging and reconnecting the SDI cable or the Mini Recorder does not fix the problem so I don't think there's anything wrong there.

However when I disconnect and reconnect the USB power on the micro converter it all starts to work again and continues to work reliably until the HDMI IN signal is interrupted. This is very annoying because we now have to unplug the micro converter every time we switch computers. By the way, it's not related to the computers using a different resolution or anything because even when reconnecting the same computer it still does not output anything on the SDI output anymore.

I've played with setting up the micro converter to either level A or B but that doesn't matter. I also tried putting an HDMI splitter in front of the micro converter but in that case it won't work at all. The HDMI IN status indicator LED still shows that there is an input signal but I get no signal on the SDI output nor on the HDMI OUT, even when I disconnect and reconnect the power. That is, there seems to be some kind of signal, but it's just a black screen. The HDMI splitter however does not detect the micro converter on it's output port judging from it's status indicator LED's.

I'm a bit lost on what else I can try and change. It seems like the micro converter is very finicky about it's HDMI IN signal and doesn't play nice with other equipment or when an (un)planned signal loss occurs.

Any help is appreciated.

eMilty

Re: No SDI output on BiDirectional micro converter

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 11:43 am

Just a short follow up, the problem turned out to be not with the BiDirectional micro coverter but was due to the fact that BMD UltraStudio Mini Recorder doesn't support 1080p50/60. This has bitten us several times already and we're a bit disappointed with the Micro Recorder because of it.

Return to Live Production